Zero stop

You will likely want to dial. What I do for my hunting rifle is figure out my MBPR and dial to that. Now anything inside that is just shoot it, if it's passed that distance take the time to dial the proper dope.

For windage as stated there is no sense in dialing for a wind gusting 5-20mph especially during hunting when you may be facing any direction. But if you are target shooting in a strong consistent wind say steady at 15 with gusts of 20mpg you can dial for 15mph wind and when you feel or see it pick up hold the difference.

The scopes I use have graduations beneath the windage turret numbered 0-4 on all 3 rifles the zero is on the 2 mark so I can remember that and always end up back at zero wind.

I just checked all my scopes. None of them will turn past the highest increment, left or right.
If yours does, pull the bolt out and bore sight it. That will get you back on target.

Back in the olden days when using the target scopes, we just counted the number of clicks needed to bottom out the scope and marked it somewhere. Then if we lost our zero setting we just bottomed it out and counted the clicks back up to our zero. Now a full rev on a Unertl was fifty clicks, so knowing that would speed up the counting process.
We didnt get very excited when zero stops came along because we always sorta had them anyway.
A thin slice cut from a shotgun case and slid onto the turret after removing the knob worked pretty well also on the Leupold types.

Hello, I'm very excited to be part of the forum.
I've looked over many threads and doesn't seem to be ego maniacs at every turn. So here I am the new guy with a question already.
I recently purchased my first long range to me optic, I have many 3x9- 3.5x14 and so on,never had to deal with turret adjustments.
So the optic I have a question about it a Tract Turic, I understand the zero stop for elevation but how do you not loose track of the windage? I have a fear of that turret being twisted and now I'm off a significant amount. Thanks and I do apologize for the long question.
Shooters generally dial for elevation, hold for wind. That is the benefit of the various reticles available.....ala Christmas tree reticles, et el.

At 10mph cross wind my 6.5 is only 2-3mils or 7-8moa wind even if you dial it you rarely get lost on wind. Elevation can be a different story entirely.