Shelf Life of primers and powder

WV Sendero

Anyone have an idea what the shelf life of primers and powder is assuming it is stored in a climate controlled room? Will it gradually lose consistency?

As long as they are stored properly your grand children will still be able to get the same out of them as you do right now. I am shooting some IMR 4895 that was pulled out of some 1960s military ammo and it cronos the same as new IMR 4895 within the range of two different lot numbers which is very close.

New primers and and the primers I have had for almost 25 years still work here in the humid south of mississippi and are not sensitive to moisture under normal conditions. I do run a dehumidifier and keep powder out of direct sunlight. I have powder from 30 years ago and it works great. Moisture and sunlight can affect the life of all powders and primers.

I think that Primers are the most susceptible to deterioration based on their packaging. So I place them in a ziploc freezer bag with some silica packets. I suck all of the air out of the bag with a vaccuum and them seal them up. I figure this way it is as close to sealed as possible. Should keep a large amount of the humidity out.

Ok, thanks guys. Thats what I was hoping to hear because I would like to stock up on some things in case there is another shortage. Plus, it is always nice to have a wide selection of powder and primers.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.