Powder shelf life.

clemens

How long is shelf life on powders that have been opened or unopened if kept in cool dry place. Can containers developed condensation if temp in room it is kept in changes or gets to cold?

Condensation rarely forms on the inside of a container, if at all.
It will form on the outside if cold and brought into humid warm area.

Cheers.
gun)

How long is shelf life on powders that have been opened or unopened if kept in cool dry place. Can containers developed condensation if temp in room it is kept in changes or gets to cold?
I've some I4895 pulldown from the WWII/Korean war era. Also some that was used in 30 carbine from the same era, similar to H110 or W296 (it probably is a non-canister lot of such.) OTOH, I had some 15 year old V133 that went totally south. I am sure glad I investigated the strange smell in the cabinet where I keep propellants. That experience led me to check every lot of propellant in my inventory.

My stuff is in a SW USA garage that gets warm in the summer and chilly from time to time in winter. Humidity is not generally an issue here.

A VV rep told me that while we do not have standards for propellant age, in Europe they tell you to dump it after ten.

I bought some old powder from an estate sale last year. Probably 6 different kinds of powder at least. Estimating, I think most of it was from the 70's - 80's.

All of it I have tried has worked great. No issues.

Some of the metal cans still had the original price stickers. Faded, but I could still make them out. Geez! I wish I could buy powder for those prices now!

Good Morning, engineer40,

Great find! Why does good fortune elude me?

Like loaded ammo, as long as powder stored correctly, gunpowder ought to last a long time. I read of a dude on a hand loading board who was still using WWII surplus powder which is now known as H-4831.

Hodgdon Powder company started their business selling H-4831, A military surplus powder from WW II and Korea era.
Around 1965-71, A group of guys where I worked used to order H-4831 in 100 lb. lots. It came in little paper plastic lined 1 lb. bags. Then the bags was in a cardboard tray of like 50 bags. Bags with wire folding closer like a bag of 8 O'clock coffee.
The powder was .75 (Seventy Five) cents a pound. We put $1.00 a pound in the kitty to cover the powder and shipping. At that time it was shipped Freight on the railroad. And had to be picked up at the Depot. A guy that lived near the Depot would order it, And pick it up. Then we met in the parking lot after work to pick it up.
At that time DuPont IMR 4350 was about $2.29 to $2.49 Just according to store you shopped.

We was told at that time, If you open it, And it smells like Ether its still good.
If it did not have the Ether smell, Get Rid of it.

I forget what it is, but we have some powder in a paper 1 lb bottle that my great grandfather used to load 22 hornet during the middle of the depression. My dad still loads with it, but it seems to be a little hotter than the same powder made now days, he has to reduce his loads somewhat. I believe he uses it to load his 44 mag....but ya, if stored properly it will outlast the person that owns it.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.