Shallow primer strike

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by RockyMtnMT, Oct 20, 2017.

1. RockyMtnMT

RockyMtnMT Official LRH Sponsor

I have a customer rifle that is showing shallow primer strikes. Savage 30-06 using wlrm primers. Strikes are shallow enough to missfire occasionally.

Any ideas?

Steve

2. bigngreen

bigngreen Well-Known Member

Is it a Savage axis?

3. RockyMtnMT

Yes Sir.

Steve

4. mikea5232

mikea5232 Well-Known Member

Weak firing pin spring or head space issues.

A buddy had a TC venture that would misfire. Shallow firing pin strikes. I checked pin protrusion, not a problem. Replaced the spring and shot like a champ after that. The rifle had less that 50 shots through it when he brought it to me with this problem.

Something to check anyway

5. bigngreen

This is an issue with them, if you search the internet for Axis and light firing pin strike it's a issue.
    I played with one a week ago, and found nothing odd other than it's a piss poor firing system with a very small spring.
    It seems the common fix is to send it back to Savage.

6. phorwath

phorwath Well-Known Member

Just when I was beginning to think Savage had upped the quality and accuracy of their rifles.

Tough to shoot a ladder - I suspect.

HARPERC likes this.
  7. RockyMtnMT

OK. Any one know if there is one primer over another that would do better with shallow strikes?

Steve

8. RockyMtnMT

No kidding. I stopped after the second miss fire.

Steve

9. phorwath

phorwath Well-Known Member

I knew a guy had that happen as he was shooting at a nice bull moose. 2, then 3 misfires before the rifle fired. He was such a bundle of nerves by then that he never touched the bull when he finally chambered a round that did fire. He did scare the bull in my direction however, and I drilled it at ~500 yd. So maybe Savages aren't so bad after all...

Actually, he was shooting a Rem 700. And WD40 had been applied so excessively as to inert the primers...

10. bigngreen

The quality of any manufactures bottom level rifle is poor at best IMO regardless of company, you may try taking the bolt apart and cleaning it and getting rid of any excess oil.

11. 243winxb

243winxb Well-Known Member

Oil may collect in the firing pin channel. This slows the velocity of the firing pin, causing misfires.

Soak the bolt in some cleaner and let dry. Retest.

If hand loading, the case may have the shoulder pushed back to far during FL sizing. This causes excess head clearance. Adjust die so a sized case produces a crush fit on chambering.

Dont seat the bullets into the rifling. It deadens the firing pin blow.

12. RockyMtnMT

Never pulled Savage bolt apart, any trick?

Steve

13. RT2506

RT2506 Well-Known Member

In my experience Federal primers have been the most sensitive. At leas those are the only primers that I have ever had slam fire in my M1 Garand rifle.

14. Gord0

Gord0 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if the regular Savage 110 bolt and the axis bolt are the same design. If they are it's a pretty easy disassembly. Insert good hex wrench at the back of the bolt with it secured in a vise (plastic or wood between the jaws) It's usually in there pretty solid so it may take a little impact. Standard thread direction. It's pretty self explanatory after that as long as you don't start messing with firing pin protrusion or springs. Google will be helpful if you plan to do any of that.