Shallow front pillar issue

DLJ6

I recently took delivery on a new composite stocked factory rifle and upon unboxing immediately noted that the action and barrel were not centered in the stock. The barrel has full contact on the left side with the stock barrel channel. I removed the action from the stock noting that the rear screw was not tight. The front aluminum pillar is recessed below the stock material and it is evident that the action is not contacting the pillar. I read the included manual to determine the torque spec. and emailed the company's customer service for confirmation. Customer service was quick to respond with the spec. of 35 in/lbs but the manual clearly states 55 in/lbs. They didn't not address the off set bedding issue.
I would prefer not to return the rifle but will void the warranty if I alter the bedding. I have responded to the email with more details.
Is it possible and advisable to add a shim to the top of the pillar?
Thanks in advance for any responses.

This is how I see it. You ahve two options. Return the rifle (I would do this) or bed the action and void the warranty.
Here is an lod thread about torque recommendations

Last edited:
Thanks, yeh I haven't shot it yet but don't see how it could be consistent as is. They just responded with a cut and paste from their FAQ on torque specs. I'll run it up to 55 but I don't see how that will compress the proud stock material enough to make contact with the pillar.

IMG_0340.jpeg

Follow their torquing procedure, and if it does not work, you have a decision to make. I just skim bedded to rifles earlier this year and made sure the barrels are free floating, but doing that would void your warranty.

Some of the benchrest rifle builders leave a space between the top of a pillar and the bottom of the action on purpose. The thought being to allow the receiver to settle into the bedding without having the hard contact point between pillar and receiver.

I would be more concerned about the barrel touching the stock anywhere.

In the end it all depends on how it shoots.

I don't see that action screw torque has anything to do with the issue, the barreled action should sit properly within the inletting/bedding with no screws in place at all.

I would prefer not to return the rifle but will void the warranty if I alter the bedding.

There's no bedding in that stock... pillars are either pressed or epoxied in place, and then the inside of the stock was sprayed with the exterior of the stock based on the paint texture I can see on the inletting.

Determining whether the problem is all in the stock/inletting, or the barreled action, or both is more involved. In any case, I'm in the "send it back" camp. New rifle- barrel shouldn't be making contact with the stock inletting; and the fact that it got shipped anyway doesn't speak well to their QC.

Some of the benchrest rifle builders leave a space between the top of a pillar and the bottom of the action on purpose. The thought being to allow the receiver to settle into the bedding without having the hard contact point between pillar and receiver.

I would be more concerned about the barrel touching the stock anywhere.

In the end it all depends on how it shoots.
+1

Skim coat bed it, get some sand paper and deep well socket and go to work.

As almost everyone has said above, don't worry about the pillar. It's only job it to prevent compressing of the stock. Truth is most modern stocks don't need pillars but they have been there forever and customers expect them. The barrel inlet should be your only concern. If the pillar bugs you that much, bed it.

I also agree with the "send it back" crowd.

As almost everyone has said above, don't worry about the pillar. It's only job it to prevent compressing of the stock. Truth is most modern stocks don't need pillars but they have been there forever and customers expect them. The barrel inlet should be your only concern. If the pillar bugs you that much, bed it.

I also agree with the "send it back" crowd.
Agreed, but the pillar can't do its only job if it sits too low in the stock material. If the pillar was higher there would be less or no stock contact issues. There is more stock material above the right side and behind the pillar. That contact is forcing the barrel to the left side of the channel. I will shoot it this weekend. It must have been shot at the factory as I am getting some copper out of it.
Thanks for the feedback.

You're getting into a philosophy of pillars…many want bedding on top of them, many want the action sitting on top of the pillar.

The theory for bedding on top is as the bedding settles (and sometimes minutely shrinks) you don't want the action just sitting (some describe it as teetering) on the pillars.

The other side of that argument is by putting bedding on top it could crush the bedding/stock until you get to the pillar.

You've got to decide where you lie on the subject. I've had and done both…my opinion is it doesn't matter, we aren't crushing these new stocks and pillars are more for feeling good than protecting these current stocks (sans wood stocks).

Good luck, at minimum…I make sure the barrel is free floated.