SFP vs FFP for hunting

Can't see the reticle on FFP at low power. It's a problem if it's not an illuminated one. Most of mine are SFP. Just have to think if you are at half power your drops are half what they'd be at full power. Or just use dials then it doesn't matter what you use.

With .03 and .05 mil floating dots in some popular FFP reticles I don't get the "reticle is to heavy and blocks out to much of the target" argument.

If covering a little over an inch of target at 1000 yards is a deal breaker then that's some next level shooting.

A lot of folks are assuming using subtensions are only for ranging targets. I never use them for that. I do, however, frequently use them to range my misses. I have, in the heat of the moment, misdialed or otherwise miscalled a shot. It's easier to see my miss is 1.2 miles off and determine if I missed the wind call or misdialed or whatever. You KNOW it's 1.2 mils at 500 yards and not guessing is that 6" or is that 18"?
That's a great point. I notice myself doing the same thing and naturally why I gravitate to FFP as my experience is growing.

Then you do not have your scope focused to your vision. Try using the focus ring on the back of the scope. Look throught the scope at the setting you are having issues with and use the focus ring to make it become bold and beautiOnce focused the reticle will be visible throughout the magnification range of the scope.

Sorry to correct you. I adjusted it all over the place and the results were the same.

Has the argument changed about SFP or FFP over time?? LINK

I found the linked thread with an interesting flare to it. People down on ffp scopes.

So, I ask myself why could SFP be better?

Are SFP users needing a precise aimpoint on like 3-5x? Perhaps shooting at a 600yd animal on 4.5x with a 4.5-30x scope?

If the issue is low power at 0-150 yd shots, doesn't the ffp reticle on 3-5x have a nice fat appearance, especially with illumination?
I like SFP for hunting and FFP for competition

I have about half and half on my hunting rifles. I like them both. For long range I like the FFP better but can still make long shots when I need to with the SFP scopes. All of my ARs LPVO are SFP. But my hunting ARs have both FFP & SFP, depending on the cartridge type and the type of hunting I do with each of them.

SFP, FFP, PRS and other abbreviations should have the full description expressed somewhere in the first part of the message. Standard journalistic style doesn't leave the reader wondering ***. That would be NFG. I'll let you ponder your sins.
You make a good point. For those of us that have been in the shooting/hunting/reloading game for decades the abbreviations make sense. However for the new and up coming group of people who join this sight a simple explanation of an abbreviation or acronym would help them to understand the gist of the conversation without a puzzled look on their face. I've been an instructor for much longer than I would like to admit to. The things a good instructor will do is 1. Always explain any abbreviations or acronyms that will be used during any discussion. 2. Always have 10 different approaches to explain a topic of discussion. Not everyone comprehends things in the same manner. 3. Be patient, the light bulb doesn't necessarily come on instantaneously. 4. There is never such a thing as a dumb question. If someone asks one it simply means that they don't understand and there are most likely several others in the group who are wondering the same thing but afraid to ask for some reason or another. Also keep in mind that during our conversations here we knowingly or not are imparting information to others. Make sure that it is factual and accurate information. If you are stating an opinion, which we all do let everyone know that you are simply stating an opinion. Let's keep the discussion as lively and friendly as possible.