FFP VS SFP for Hunting

matt_3479

I decided a while back that i will be purchasing the Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50mm for my main hunting/target rifle. I wanted to get into some serious long range target shooting and be more prepared for hunting.

This rifle will be used for stuff like moose, elk, bear, caribou and deer at ranges out too 600 yards and targets between 100-1000 for now :). But i dont know if the FFP or the SFP would suit me better. For hunting the FFP seems like the smartest option due to the fact that i can use the reticle on every power, but the SFP is cheaper. i have also read the FFP isn't the best for targets at extended ranges.

I know Joesph enjoys his and doesn't mind his FFP but i would like to hear what others have to say about there experiences with SFP vs FFP for hunting mainly then for target shooting.

IMHO...if your type of hunting requires you to take a quick shot at a variety of known distances, then you can benefit from the FFP with some sort of milling reticle. But if you have time to range your target and dope your scope, then I don't seed the need for FFP. I must admit that I prefer a simple duplex sight and if I have to rush to get a shot off, I'll let the animal go and wait for the next opportunity. There are a lot of variables in determining whether or not having a FFP on your scope is necessary. If you don't mind the cost then go for it. I don't see how it would hurt. I've hunted with a FFP scope and still found myself making dope adjustments before pulling the trigger.

Matt, I favor the first. I like reading reticule and holding or adjust all same to me, circumstance of shot. Im shooting a 6-20 mil/tmr for long range main. I have B&C, BALLISTIC plex, varmint, mildot, like em all.I like more info in the reticule. I t is personal preference.

Hi Matt

First focal plane is the only way to go if you are using the reticle for elevation or wind holds.

I typically dial for elevation and hold for wind, but this can be done at any power with FFP.

Also, if you are using a spotter with MIL reticle in spotting scope... you will only get useful information of you both are using accurate scales. FFP insures this.

So... SFP doesn't make much sense to me other than in a target scope where the shooter will dial both elevation and wind and then may use the target for corrections to point of aim/impact.

The only place that FFP doesn't work is when a mfg tries to make a "do it all" variable with low power at the bottom end. The reticle can become almost invisible at the lowest magnifications (1-5x for instance).

FFP and never wonder if your holds or ranging is accurate due to magnification
Mike

FFP for sure you will not regret - when using it to estimate range or in tandem w/a Kestrel, your game will be changed. Having shot both a 4-16 (learning) and a 5-25 PST (first season production class PRS) for long range shooting, the 4-16 is a marginal performer at 1000 yards. Even in the best conditions, clarity and overall magnification make it a challenge (I shoot .308) to make consistent hits on anything smaller than IPSC silhouettes. 5-25 is a better choice beyond 700 yards and a Viper PST can get it done. If you hunt a lot and often at the ranges you stated, lesser magnification in a slightly better optic (even 12X?) may prove to suit your purpose even better and be close to a wash price wise.

bm1J5mIVnFRZWLDEdFkOx3KWu6ATkLyr1V1JGXYs6vYQctMJDisiDDVe_5iVENN0LSAVXfmhzcVhMVZvxwEpIB_b5Cxwa9E_QFceleOtPRLI27WisG9fQyW6HKRTdpy7hxY4bb77YQ=w500

It all boils down to what you want to do the most. If you are mostly hunting in darker wooded areas the simple illuminated duplex is the king IMO. Wide open windy areas FFP with a MOA or mil reticle is great. SFP will work fine if you get something like the Winplex and dial for distance. I've got several SFP on rifles for dark woods. Now I need a FFP with illumination and thicker outer posts that will work okay at low mag but give me accurate readings for wind at any mag at greater distance. Good luck!

I would start by finding a different scope. I had SFP 4x16x50 Viper and was not happy with it. The eyebox was finicky and it got very dark when the magnification was cranked up past 10 or so.