Sending out for a re-barreling job...

wmterry89

Who would you chose? Hart, Shaw, Pac-Nor, Other?

It is a Mauser action if it makes a difference.

I could do it myself but I don't have a lathe.

What is your budget ? Do you want a cut rifled bore are a Button rifled ,pushed or pulled ? What caliber,how long of bbl ? What are your expectations of rifle ? HART wants $700 for a barrel job Pacnor $600 . Bench Mark who does cut rifled barrels wants $850 My self I own too rifles with cut rifled bores. Are they better that button rifled bores ? Its a matter of opinion. I have button rifled barrels and a Hammer forged barrel and they both shoot like a house on fire.

I know this will get me in trouble... If I were running a rebarrel on a Mauser, I would save the big money for another project.

I know this will get me in trouble... If I were running a rebarrel on a Mauser, I would save the big money for another project.
A prime example of being "politically correct"! Obviously 'knowledge' aquired off the internet, rather than first hand. If your Mauser '98 is of known 'parentage', not stretched out of shape from too many years of military service, already drilled and tapped & a new bolt handle welded on (not bubba ed), there is no reason to not use it. Are they heavier than most modern actions, yes, ,,,,, is lock time slower, yes,,,,, is it made of material that's not a modern alloy steel, yes. Will a Mauser '98 that's had it's quality barrel installed by a quality minded gunsmith (again, not bubba ed), had a good trigger installed and adjusted, been properly bedded, and wearing decent optics and mounts out shoot its owner,,,,,, definitively yes! Would I use one for a 'super mag'? No. Is it a bench rest quality action. No. But, neither are the common commercial actions made today (Remington, Winchester, Savage, etc.) Chamber it up to standard cartridge, like .308, .30/06, 7mm x 57 or any of their siblings, using a quality made barrel, don't cram it into its stock, and it'll make a fine hunting rifle capable of 1/2" groups (as long a the driver really does now how to drive and isn't really just a 'key board jocky'). I've 'smithed many Remington 700s that were just as much of a 'disaster'.

What is your budget ? Do you want a cut rifled bore are a Button rifled ,pushed or pulled ? What caliber,how long of bbl ? What are your expectations of rifle ? HART wants $700 for a barrel job Pacnor $600 . Bench Mark who does cut rifled barrels wants $850 My self I own too rifles with cut rifled bores. Are they better that button rifled bores ? Its a matter of opinion. I have button rifled barrels and a Hammer forged barrel and they both shoot like a house on fire.

Lets not think within the constraints of a budget for this. Who will do the best quality work with the best customer service.

I can't say as I have a preference on the rifling type. It will be a 22-250 Rem, 26-28" 1:12 and a #7 contour or larger. Haven't decided on fluting.

As far as it being a Mauser, I do not like Remingtons or clones thereof (including Savage). It's just personal preference, but I prefer the CRF design. About the only PF I like is a post-64 winchester (flat bottom and recoil lug built in)

You were gentle so no one should jump on you.
But... His project is his project. There is everything right with a Mauser action and nothing wrong with it. Your rifle, regardless of make is based on a Mauser.

Back to the subject:
With my just finished Edge with a Benchmark I'm very happy. Local smith fitted it.
My Pac-Nors are pre-fits and rock solid. Pac-Nor is fine quality.

Expect to spend ~$400 for the barrel and ~$250 for install.

If it were me I'd go Pac-Nor simply because of positive experience with them.

My recommendation is to go with a cut rifle barrel. Companies like Brux and Krieger (and there are many more companies too) that make outstanding barrels. Then there are several good gunsmiths on this site that will take care of the installation. I've worked with Shawn Burkholder at Hawk Hill Custom (www.hawkhillcustom.com) and he does outstanding work AND he could make the barrel for you too.

Yep, it got me in trouble. I love you guys!! thanks for the morning conversation. When the original poster gets around to reading this, again, I don't mean any offence. and +1 on the Winchester Post 64, Right on! very overlooked action but for all-around, its a Rem or stillers (unless you want to play with the big dogs)

I know there are lots of guys who like their Mausers. as a matter of fact, I had a guy come by the shop 2 days ago that had has mauser totally redone back to original military with a new stock and the whole 9 yards. Open sites... it was a beauty. it kind of touched my nostalgic nerves, but not my 'I want to hit a pumpkin at a mile' nerve.

just sayin'

wsterryandco,

I think some of this has the cart before the horse.

What cartridge is the Mauser currently chambered for?

If it's a .308 Win. or similar, the Mauser bottom metal and box will already have the proper follower and spring. If not and it's a .30-06 or similar then a box, follower and spring will need to be made. I had to do this with the .22-250 I built several years ago. Resolve the bottom metal then move on to the barrel.

I use mostly Bartlein barrels on a daily basis but I am confident with Krieger and a couple of others when specified by a client.

The cost from a custom riflesmith will be similar to those of the barrel makers so you can get the job done within that same price range.

Regards.

wsterryandco,

I think some of this has the cart before the horse.

What cartridge is the Mauser currently chambered for?

If it's a .308 Win. or similar, the Mauser bottom metal and box will already have the proper follower and spring. If not and it's a .30-06 or similar then a box, follower and spring will need to be made. I had to do this with the .22-250 I built several years ago. Resolve the bottom metal then move on to the barrel.

I use mostly Bartlein barrels on a daily basis but I am confident with Krieger and a couple of others when specified by a client.

The cost from a custom riflesmith will be similar to those of the barrel makers so you can get the job done within that same price range.

Regards.

Thanks,

It will cycle the rounds just fine, its an M48 intermediate action. I do still have to pull the old barrel, true everything up, lap the lugs and forge the handle, etc... so the new barrel is still a little ways off.

Mauser action, What. Send it to pac nor. They will do you right and will shoot way past the potential of that action.

A prime example of being "politically correct"! Obviously 'knowledge' aquired off the internet, rather than first hand. If your Mauser '98 is of known 'parentage', not stretched out of shape from too many years of military service, already drilled and tapped & a new bolt handle welded on (not bubba ed), there is no reason to not use it. Are they heavier than most modern actions, yes, ,,,,, is lock time slower, yes,,,,, is it made of material that's not a modern alloy steel, yes. Will a Mauser '98 that's had it's quality barrel installed by a quality minded gunsmith (again, not bubba ed), had a good trigger installed and adjusted, been properly bedded, and wearing decent optics and mounts out shoot its owner,,,,,, definitively yes! Would I use one for a 'super mag'? No. Is it a bench rest quality action. No. But, neither are the common commercial actions made today (Remington, Winchester, Savage, etc.) Chamber it up to standard cartridge, like .308, .30/06, 7mm x 57 or any of their siblings, using a quality made barrel, don't cram it into its stock, and it'll make a fine hunting rifle capable of 1/2" groups (as long a the driver really does now how to drive and isn't really just a 'key board jocky'). I've 'smithed many Remington 700s that were just as much of a 'disaster'.

like I said, this will get me in trouble. I don't own a Mauser. so there is some more ammo for you.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.