Re-barreling a Ruger #1-Question

woodnut

Does re-barreling a Ruger # 1 involve more than re-barreling a bolt gun? Not worried about stock fit, just what makes re-barreling a #1 different, or is it? Seems to me you gotta re-thread it, chamber it, cut for extractor, which is larger than say a Remy 700. But still an extractor cut. I am guessing there is more, but what and how much more involved?

An extractor cut has to be made in the breach and timed in and the barrel shank will have to be reduced as stated to clear the forend hanger.

They also require different action wenches to remove and re torque the new barrel to prevent action damage. More difficult, but can be done. I would recommend finding a Smith that has the proper tools for the Ruger. (Many smiths don't have the right action wrench and improvise).

J E CUSTOM

AHA ! Privi457 reminded me ! I have had some excellent work done by Mark on Ruger #1s. Not re-barreling, but work done was the best. I wasn't sure he was still doing it. Thanks for that reminder and thank you , J E Custom for your fine advise.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts