Selling and Shipping scopes

TBuckus

Any recommendations on selling and shipping scopes?
I've never sold anything expensive before online and want to do it right.

Does Paypal or Venmo red flag scopes and firearm parts?
how do you box up the scope? I have the original boxes but was thinking of putting it in another box and padding it.
Do you use signature required? Proof of delivery?
I'm planning on insuring it and using UPS or FedEx after USPS not accepting my claim.

If you have the original box use It and ship the original box within an outer box or tube. I always use tracking, signature required and proof of delivery. To me any of the carriers mentioned including USPS works or has about the same reputation for successful delivery…if you know what I mean. Good luck on your delivery.

Definitely put it back in the original box. Hopefully, you have all the bags/packing material it came with. Keeping it from moving is what's going to keep it safe and scuff/scratch free.

Put the original box in an outer box, with enough packing material where it doesn't shift/move. In this case, packing peanuts would be ideal, but as long as you make sure things don't shift, then you'll be fine.

Scopes aren't quite as delicate as we treat them overall. They are built to withstand some small impacts.

I always insure for full replacement value... I prefer UPS over others.

Definitely put it back in the original box. Hopefully, you have all the bags/packing material it came with. Keeping it from moving is what's going to keep it safe and scuff/scratch free.

Put the original box in an outer box, with enough packing material where it doesn't shift/move. In this case, packing peanuts would be ideal, but as long as you make sure things don't shift, then you'll be fine.

Scopes aren't quite as delicate as we treat them overall. They are built to withstand some small impacts.

I always insure for full replacement value... I prefer UPS over others.
I agree that they aren't delicate. It's more for the Buyer not receiving it With the scope box all bashed in. Gives them peace of mind.

I've purchased and shipped scopes to manufacturer for repair with no issues. All in original boxes as well. Only by USPS and they don't ask any firearm questions. I've had damaged items from FedEx and UPS but not the postal service.

Even USPS is not perfect. Shipped an air gun to Puerto Rico...this is how it arrived 24 days later. The USPS still claims it is in their system and has not been delivered LOL.
1630787993706.png

I've purchased and shipped scopes to manufacturer for repair with no issues. All in original boxes as well. Only by USPS and they don't ask any firearm questions. I've had damaged items from FedEx and UPS but not the postal service.
I currently have a claim with usps. Box arrived empty and verified by receiving PO. Still pending from July and can't talk to anyone from them about it. And that's only a $40 claim.
Maybe if they know I have extra insurance on it they will treat it right

I send scopes all over all the time. Pack in the original box, then pad all 6 sides with packing foam or the little air pocket plastic jobbies inside another box. You want at least an inch of padding between the inner box and outer box. This helps prevent crush and impact damage during shipping. USPS is about as good as UPS or FedEx. UPS is usually the easiest for me. When you go to the UPS store don't tell them exactly what's in the box. I just say "telescope" when shipping a rifle scope. When shipping gun parts/mags/etc... I say "machined parts". All it needs is the shipping label on a box which the S&R department can provide me and the S&R department can even charge it directly to my paycheck. Since it's a regular company pickup, it's not violating any store policies. ;)

I currently have a claim with usps. Box arrived empty and verified by receiving PO. Still pending from July and can't talk to anyone from them about it. And that's only a $40 claim.
Maybe if they know I have extra insurance on it they will treat it right
Good luck. I shipped all of my daughter's family's Christmas present USPS one year. They delivered the empty box. When I filed a claim they said they delivered it and that was that. I don't use USPS unless I have to.