Self congratulations. Dialing in my 264WM.

entoptics

Getting my Savage 264 Win Mag dialed in. She's a Frankengun. Purchased an OEM receiver/accustock (no bbl) from a member here, then slapped an X-Caliber, 24" heavy sporter, prefit on. Got the barrel on a Black Friday steal deal, and the action/stock was priced nice too, so the whole rifle (bbl, action, stock, kydex cheek riser, bipod+adapter, scope mount, and MBM baby beast) was under $1000. She's basically a Savage Long Range Hunter (old style), with a slightly heavier bbl profile in stainless.

I've got about 300 rounds down the tube now, and have settled on a good load. R-P brass (free to me from mom's boyfriend's auction addiction), Fed 215M, H1000 (63.0 gr), 147 ELD-M, motoring along at 3055 fps. Based on a 30 shot session working on my zero and DOPE from the other day, my ES is 21 fps, and my SD is 4.9 fps.

So does she shoot?

200 yds...
IMG_5420.jpg
IMG_5421.jpg
IMG_5436.jpg

200 yd zero work today. She appears to be "between clicks" for zero...
IMG_5452.jpg
IMG_5455.jpg

500 yds
IMG_5444.jpg

525 yds
IMG_5429.JPG

606 yds
IMG_5456.jpg

711 yds (checking spin drift, which appears to be **** close to what software suggests).
IMG_5430.JPG

740 yds (checking spin drift, which appears to be **** close to what software suggests).
IMG_5443.jpg

As you can see from the longer range groups, I need to settle down and collect some better dope. It's been insanely hot, so most of these groups were shot in EXTREME mirage. I was sorta chasing around a good 200 yd zero. Today, I got out and it was mostly cloudy so mirage was minor (1/2 MOA dancing), though hot as hell, so I think I have it dialed in well. From here on out, I'm gonna work on DOPE, and practice from various field positions in the wind.

Hopefully I can wack a tiny Palouse whitetail in October.

😁

Looks great - like you said, you can work to get those POI's closer at distance by playing with the zero.

One question - did you develop this load while it has been hot as hell there, or was it a load from temps closer to fall hunting weather? I'm curious to know how the crazy heat affected velocity and pressure signs.

Nothing like getting everything gathered and put together then going out and getting it to perform well. Looks like you are there. Congrats, looks like a lotta fun is gonna be had from here on out.

Looks great - like you said, you can work to get those POI's closer at distance by playing with the zero.

One question - did you develop this load while it has been hot as hell there, or was it a load from temps closer to fall hunting weather? I'm curious to know how the crazy heat affected velocity and pressure signs.
Good question. Yes and no. The most recent iteration has been monitored for "hot as hell", but it isn't much different from spring's work.

I did a sensitivity test (click here for thread, H1000 on 2nd page), and though my H1000 results were a little more sensitive than some, I am not too worried. I collect LabRadar data on 90% of my shots, and if there is a velocity change on a particular batch, I either adjust my software accordingly, or if I'm concerned about pressure (or lack there of), I ± a tenth or three and call it good.

This load, at 3055 fps is at the upper end of my comfort zone. Barest hint of bolt stiffness, but primers are still well rounded, and no ejector marks. I checked the primer pockets on a few brass after 2nd firing, and they're still good, but I wouldn't be surprised if they start to loosen up after the third firing. For comparison, I got 3060 fps in March at about 60° F with the same recipe.