Seeking Tikka Rifle Resources

🤔That's terrible, what are they thinking?

I formed the opinion years ago that 7mm-08 might be a good all round cartridge for Australia. (the .308 is quite common)
My CTR was the gateway cartridge to 7mm for me.
Anyway, I found the 7mm-08 CTR on special as the chambering is not so popular here. My first obscure chambering for me but I got a deal on 400 rounds of Winchester factory ammo with 139gn Hornady I think.
Now she's not pretty I could tell from the pictures but I wanted a 7mm-08 and the price was right I also like the configuration of the setup, 20" medium profile barrel, removable stock spacers to decrease overall length. Handy little stock. Comes with Pic rail, an oversize bolt knob and double stack detachable 10 Rd mag.
I think it maybe "The Perfect Truck Rifle " for the yanks.

Now, it's not pretty right, actually it's practical, maybe a little ugly, but I saw past that. I wanted a 7-08, I wanted a compact rifle and I wanted a rifle I could carry I'm the car, on a short walk or on a quad bike, something I would not get precious about if it got scratched, something ugly because it was a workhorse with a pedigree, just ugly.
Well I named her "Ugly Betty" before we got acquainted, but I knew she would be faithful if I took her from that lonely "old stock" rack.
Well, the freight and wait over to the paperwork done we were legally united as one and I could wait to get a load away.
The break in done we paired up with a nice scope and got familiar.
Well, she was wearing A Meopta 4-12x50 with BDC reticle, it was my first.

The stars aligned we were the perfect fit and we worked in harmony.

One early engagement we had was a quiet drive together, but I knew the Pigs were out in force so I had to watch out for them. There they were, the Pigs, hiding out behind a stinking carcass. I quickly turned my attention to Betty and jammed her forward facing from the window.
She went off, she barked and again,. 2 pigs down .
We got out the ute and I put her over the tray and we went again, it was beautiful, we were in sync, I emptied a load, I was satisfied and Betty was smoking. All of a sudden I just knew looks were skin deep and we were meant to be.

Seven, pigs did not survive the experience to share our most intimate moment. She aimed true and rode with me on countless occassions while I was working remote, faithfully by my side ready and willing when I wanted some action.

That other bitch would watch me handle Betty so often I thought there would be trouble, but she knew when we were getting ready to go out she might be invited. Always watching with envy Jessie will come when I call and get up on demand to ride on the back of the ute.

We work in town now but Betty is safe, she might be bruised and beaten but she has been good to me and I will keep her. When we get out she will ride up front even if I have another on the go that trip she will riding next to me.

Ugly guns need owners too, and the 7mm-08 is so gentle, with a wild side that comes out in the field.

You should be a rifle magazine writer!! Great read.

My Tikka 223. Such a nice rifle. Not for sale.
DSC01036 (2).JPG

Last edited:
When I bought my Tikka T3 Lite, a good mate kept wanting to have group shooting competitions with me as he had a much more expensive heavy barrelled lump of a REM 700 varmint. And I like Remington's too. After a week away together he sold his M700!!! 2000 rounds later it still shoots around 0.5 MOA right out to 500yds. Most simple, trouble free rifle I've owned...

I'm new to the LRH Forum and have been searching old threads for "Tikka", because I'm intrigued by others' positive reports of accuracy and affordability. I'd appreciate it if anyone can point me to any resources for more in-depth information on Tikka rifles online or otherwise. I'm a visual learner, so resources with photographs are especially helpful. I'm especially interested in details regarding possibilities of cost-effective upgrades or modifications.

Context: My experience with bolt-action centerfire rifles is limited and almost entirely based upon the Remington 700.
I might get some pics up later. Trying to tidy my shed.

Is there something specific you want to know?

Parts, upgrades mods?

I'm not an expert just a Tikka Tweaker.

I have a couple of Sterk bolt handles. Made in Australia.

A Precision Defence Industries (Bolly) Carbon Fibre stock, Aussie

A Bell and Carson Stock

Google. Lumley Arms for upgrades.

There are many more.

I had an IBI carbon wrapped barell fitted to make the .280ai

IBI are Canadian made, much cheaper than Proof research but not proven, .I haven't owned a proof and I don't expect to wear this out but I will give it an honest appraisal with some use.

When I bought my Tikka T3 Lite, a good mate kept wanting to have group shooting competitions with me as he had a much more expensive heavy barrelled lump of a REM 700 varmint. And I like Remington's too. After a week away together he sold his M700!!! 2000 rounds later it still shoots around 0.5 MOA right out to 500yds. Most simple, trouble free rifle I've owned...
Happy ANZAC day,

I reckon our Kiwi connections like their Tikkas.

Kiwi composite s or aka Southfork Technologys make stocks

I'm new to the LRH Forum and have been searching old threads for "Tikka", because I'm intrigued by others' positive reports of accuracy and affordability. I'd appreciate it if anyone can point me to any resources for more in-depth information on Tikka rifles online or otherwise. I'm a visual learner, so resources with photographs are especially helpful. I'm especially interested in details regarding possibilities of cost-effective upgrades or modifications.

Context: My experience with bolt-action centerfire rifles is limited and almost entirely based upon the Remington 700.

I do not have a Tikka, but I will likely get one. - They're made by SAKO. - I love their bolt face and extractor. - Many have modified their Remington 700s with a similar extractor (I have 2).
Availability of ammo and reloading gear is the key.
I'd get a stainless steel 7mm Remington Magnum TIKKA T3X rifle. :D - See video.
Then I'd put the rifle in a laminate wood stock (Boyds).

Rifle

Ammo

Boyds

Video

Attachments

• TIKKA T3X BOLT FACE.jpg
    TIKKA T3X BOLT FACE.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 158
If your searching for threads on tikka and by tikka users join Rokslide forum . Lots of tikka enthusiasts on there. Lumley produces top notch aftermarket parts.
I never was pleased with my T3x lite in 308. Loved the smooth action but found the lite barrel and plastic stock unappealing to what I was always use to shooting .
Had my tikka rebarreled with a Bartlien barrel and put in a KRG bravo stock.
Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, it's fresh from the gunsmith but it feels much more capable in my hands .

Attachments

• 0F99C5AE-EC89-4EE9-B1A5-9C604CEE990E.jpeg
    0F99C5AE-EC89-4EE9-B1A5-9C604CEE990E.jpeg
    400.5 KB · Views: 210
Is there something specific you want to know?

Parts, upgrades mods?
Thanks CBH Australia. I've never actually handled a Tikka, but from what I'm reading here and elsewhere, their barrels are providing consistent reports of tight groups. Their actions are manufactured to tolerances that would seem to require no blueprinting if one goes to the trouble and expense of re-barreling. Their triggers are good-to-go and resistant to sand/dust. There is a growing amount of aftermarket upgrades like stocks, pre-fit barrels, scope mounts, etc...

I see photos of lots of really nice full-custom rifles on this forum, but most are beyond my means at the moment, so I'm interested in best-value options.

What I'd really hoped to find was thing like details on magazine lengths to ensure that maximum cartridge overall lengths can be accommodated (e.g., I read in one of the threads hyperlinked above that a 300 WSM was a better choice than a 300 WM in the Tikka due to this). What are the best sources for factory Tikka parts (including take-off barrels, stocks...)? Is it cost-effective to buy a Tikka rifle as a donor just for the action? Does the bottom "metal" (plastic) really warrant replacement? Who are the trusted gunsmiths that have experience with Tikkas? Why are certain scope mounts preferred for Tikka? Is there any way to import models into the USA that Beretta does not?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.