Seeking Advice Montana Hunt

Brian D

I am looking for any and all advice that I can get. My dad is 67 and last hunted in Montana nearly 40 years ago. He has gotten the itch again and is hopeful that our group of 5 gets drawn for a trip this fall. About 15 years ago I bought a factory Rem 700 Sendero 300 rum stainless fluted shortly after that I had a custom 700 in 300 rum built for him with a rock creek fluted barrel. Basically an upgraded Sendero. Both of these rifles shoot well. I have always leaned toward the polymer tipped bullets but he hates them. He likes soft point Spitzer's. I am looking for bullet suggestions for the rum. I would like to have something that is better in bc than his tried and true Spitzer's. He has also always complained about the weight of his rifle as well. It is right at 10 lbs with scope and sling. With the that in mind I am considering selling one of the rums and I am looking at something like the savage ultralight in 6.5 prc. I would have another custom rifle built but just don't have the money for a custom action and reasonable 700 actions are impossible to come by. My career in LE is great but not as financially rewarding as I would like. I am in TN and my local trusted gunsmith moved to Colorado a couple of years ago. He is pretty well retired. If I am able to go the PRC route I am also interested in bullet recommendations for that as well. I have never hunted out west so any other advice for this trip would be greatly appreciated. We are pretty well planning to do things self guided and are planning to be in the area between Big Sky and the north west corner of Yellowstone.

I am looking for any and all advice that I can get. My dad is 67 and last hunted in Montana nearly 40 years ago. He has gotten the itch again and is hopeful that our group of 5 gets drawn for a trip this fall. About 15 years ago I bought a factory Rem 700 Sendero 300 rum stainless fluted shortly after that I had a custom 700 in 300 rum built for him with a rock creek fluted barrel. Basically an upgraded Sendero. Both of these rifles shoot well. I have always leaned toward the polymer tipped bullets but he hates them. He likes soft point Spitzer's. I am looking for bullet suggestions for the rum. I would like to have something that is better in bc than his tried and true Spitzer's. He has also always complained about the weight of his rifle as well. It is right at 10 lbs with scope and sling. With the that in mind I am considering selling one of the rums and I am looking at something like the savage ultralight in 6.5 prc. I would have another custom rifle built but just don't have the money for a custom action and reasonable 700 actions are impossible to come by. My career in LE is great but not as financially rewarding as I would like. I am in TN and my local trusted gunsmith moved to Colorado a couple of years ago. He is pretty well retired. If I am able to go the PRC route I am also interested in bullet recommendations for that as well. I have never hunted out west so any other advice for this trip would be greatly appreciated. We are pretty well planning to do things self guided and are planning to be in the area between Big Sky and the north west corner of Yellowstone.
Welcome to LRH and enjoy it! At what range and what bullet(s) do you currently have to load?

Ed

I guess I left out one major thing in all of that typing. We put in for Elk tags. I am a pretty decent shot and so is he He has used the rum out to about 300. I have used the 180 btsp Speer bullets for him and I have leaned toward the Nosler and Hornady offerings in SST and BT's. My 260 rem loves the Hornady 140 amax but I have never hunted with this rifle and or may be a but underpowered for elk? comfortable distance for us right now is out to 350 or so. I plan on shooting between now and then to stretch that out a bit

I have a number of 6.5 140 amax's and .308 212 eldx's on hand to begin some load development as well but there are possibly better bullets out there I plan to have whatever rifles we take zeroed at 300 here before we leave.

Last edited:
For my 20 inch 6.5 PRC, I have settled on the 124 gr Hammer Hunter. I believe I will be able to get the 3150 fps I want. With a 250 yard zero at 5000 ft elevation that gives a 300 yard PBR and still energy of 1500+ at 500 yards. If I can get the accuracy and speed out of this 20 in barrel I will be gtg for now.

To be able to get farther out I plan to switch up to a 7 WSM, SAUM or Sherman SS. My hope is to move to a Bartlein CF in their new alloy. Probably will be a Sherman SS I think.

Brian---pretty darn cool that you get to hunt with your Dad, uffda what I wouldn't give for just one more hunt with my Dad!

I know the area you're talking about fairly well, I generally get the flight surveys from that area, if you wish pm me your email and I'll see if I have this years survey.

A couple quick comments on guns, bullets etc if you don't mind. First off, in that country there is absolutely zero reason to be toting a 10 pound rig, especially for the 350 yard ranges that you're comfy with. I sure as heck wouldn't saddle your father with a rig like that. I have no doubt it's fun to shoot at distance and with that weight even the RUM's are easy to deal with recoil wise sans brakes.

For bullets, if your Dad isn't a fan of plastic tips again I sure wouldn't push them on him. And once again at those ranges there isn't a clear need for the highest BC bullets going.

For bullets for the PRC, I'd look at the 139 Scenar, 140 Horn sp, 140 Accu or the 140 Partition.

Lastly, and forgive me for saying it but instead of a 10 pound RUM, and instead of a PRC I'd simply buy him a Tikka T3 Lite in .308, 7/08, 270, 6.5 CM or the plain oldy but goody 06. Cost effective, easy to tote around, they generally shoot balls out and really for sub 500 (and more) it's all one needs. Fit it with a decent sling that doesn't slip around when slung and doesn't weigh over 5 ounces with the swivels. If you just put a decent 1" tube scope on it you'll be around 7 lbs give or take a quarter pound all up and ready to rock!

Just a thunk or two.

Dogs, I have been reading posts here for several years now. The post I made yesterday is my first. I am trying to figure out the PM thing but so far no luck. I have found instructions to click on the member icon and then click start conversation. I don't see that option after clicking your icon. I am sure I am not doing something correctly.

Dogs, I have been reading posts here for several years now. The post I made yesterday is my first. I am trying to figure out the PM thing but so far no luck. I have found instructions to click on the member icon and then click start conversation. I don't see that option after clicking your icon. I am sure I am not doing something correctly.
You need to have at least 10 posts.

Good morning Brain D, I tried to send you a pm maybe it'll work that way. Otherwise we'll just have to get your post count up a bit:)

Happy Easter all!

I'm 67, and I switched to a Browning Mountain Ti in 7mm WSM several years ago. My longest shot on a bull elk was 340 yards. My rifle with scope and sling weighs 6.5 lbs. I load my shells down to 2850 fps with 168 gr. Bergers, which you could probably duplicate with a 7mm-08. The recoil is tolerable, and the rifle is a joy to carry. Look into a Safari sling for your dad. It is by far the most comfortable way to carry a rifle. It works great, as long as you are extremely careful about where your muzzle is pointed. If you go with the RUM, shoot quality bullets that won't explode at close range. For elk, I recommend heavy for caliber bullets. The Bergers I shoot have a sectional density of .298, and work very well. You don't say where you're from, but altitude is a big deal. Read up on high altitude sickness and aclimate at high elevation a couple of days before the hunt if you can. Go light! I recommend Merrel Goretex boots for moderate weather hunting.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts