Another Rifle builder seeking advice

THANKS JM and AR and all - appreciated comments.
Using a Model 7 action as I want to get rid of an old Model 7 rifle in 260 that will not shoot.
I had a Remage barrel in 280 AI put on an old 700 BDL action and I love it - first rifle (only) rifle I have that consistently shoots under 1/2" and kept me pursing accurate rifles so I am partial to a 260AI but not locked in. Do you think it would be better to just stick with a 260 Rem. (I will use it as my go to western deer rifle - do not want to loose much more velocity / weight - nothing less then a .264). Would a 6.5 CM cycle better? My 280 AI likes a lot of jump with Barnes 150 gr. ttsx's but I do not want to limit my overall length ability in a 260 AI if it will not cycle in a Mod. 7 action. Unfortunately I already bought 260 mod. dies.... but can return / sell...

I had a MOD7 in 7-08 and love how compact and handy it was. For your custom build I would suggest you go with a 700 short action. Also light to my mind is 7.5 pounds scoped up, looks like you will be more around 9.5 pounds.

THANKS JM and AR and all - appreciated comments.
Using a Model 7 action as I want to get rid of an old Model 7 rifle in 260 that will not shoot.
I had a Remage barrel in 280 AI put on an old 700 BDL action and I love it - first rifle (only) rifle I have that consistently shoots under 1/2" and kept me pursing accurate rifles so I am partial to a 260AI but not locked in. Do you think it would be better to just stick with a 260 Rem. (I will use it as my go to western deer rifle - do not want to loose much more velocity / weight - nothing less then a .264). Would a 6.5 CM cycle better? My 280 AI likes a lot of jump with Barnes 150 gr. ttsx's but I do not want to limit my overall length ability in a 260 AI if it will not cycle in a Mod. 7 action. Unfortunately I already bought 260 mod. dies.... but can return / sell...
Ok, that makes a lot of sense. Whether you should go with a standard 260 or an ai, I dont wanna get too deep into load data because that opens a HUGE can of worms and can start another thread, I would only ask if you feel like appx 100 fps is worth brass forming, less availability of components, and just flat out more stuff you have to do. If so, go for it...

As far as alternates to think about, the 6.5 CM is more efficient however slower. Usually a non-ai case will feed better but "better" is a relative term. To me if it goes in the chamber every time, it feeds just fine.

The other cartridge I was thinking to give you some food for thought in that 308 bolt face (473) would have been the 6.5/284 but personally I wouldn't run that in a short action

AI's are way fun. If you go that route, enjoy!

If you go 260 route go AI if nothing else keep brass flow down and a little extra performance you won't regret it.
Perfect time to form brass with new barrel.

260 AI
Bartlein barrel 23" #19 Mag Sporter .650
Remington 7 action
Manners EH1 stock (not yet purchased)
Trigger Tech trigger
I like the 260AI choice! Good round. I would start by buying dies and making a sample round. Then you will know how you want it throated and mag length needed.

Rem7 is an ok action, but didn't you say the rifle shot awful? I'm concerned it might be caused by the action. That happens. You will be out several $1000's fit to that action by the time that is figured out.
A nearly perfect action can be had in a Zermatt Origin for like $825….you might just consider that.

I don't know the Bartlein #19, but 0.650" muzzle looks about like a std #3 which like. Kind of factory size, but just a little fatter. It will likely make a 9-10lb rifle completed.

Triggers are a very personal decision. Do you know you like triggertech? I do, but I think I slightly prefer my Jewel. I have a Timney on a M70 that is great too. I would suggest you start at 3lbs and reduce as you need to. I'm down to about 1.75 lbs. I have triggers from 1.5oz to 4.0lbs. In the right rifles, they all perform.

but NO idea on what bottom metal I want?? I DO want lighter and have no problem with a BDL type floor plate. What Mfg. / model would I want?
Look at Wyatt's mag boxes after you get your oal and throating figured out. They usually have a mag box. BDL is lighter. Aluminum BDL is ideal with Obendorf release.

I am building (have all the parts, dies, brass, scope, etc.) a .260AI as well. Just waiting on a custom reamer with .130" FB instead of the standard .050" FB of the normal .260AI. I plan to run the 140 Hyb, and the FB I selected allows plenty of room in a SA standard mag box,and also clear the slightly longer feed ramp of the Lone Peak Fuzion TI SA. The base of the bullet is slightly below shoulder to body junction, but less than the standard .050" reamer would be. So if you are using the standard reamer, you won't be able to seat a 140 way out anyway. You do not HAVE to have the base of bullet at the body/shoulder junction to have a crazy accurate rifle. My daughter's 6.5SLR is a prime example of this.

You could easily go with a 130gr like the 130 OTM, to shorten COAL to better fit in the 7 action length. Even with a 23" barrel, I would think 3050+ should be attainable with the .260AI case. Running those numbers, your 600 yard limit is a non-issue.

I have fed several dummy rounds through my action, and an R700 action, both BDL and DBM w. Accurate mag, and they feed flawlessly.

For comparison:
6.5CM (.160FB), .260 Rem, 6.5SLR (.130FB), .260AI (bullet seated long in photo, about .220FB)
20210624_085117.jpg

I am building (have all the parts, dies, brass, scope, etc.) a .260AI as well. Just waiting on a custom reamer with .130" FB instead of the standard .050" FB of the normal .260AI. I plan to run the 140 Hyb, and the FB I selected allows plenty of room in a SA standard mag box,and also clear the slightly longer feed ramp of the Lone Peak Fuzion TI SA. The base of the bullet is slightly below shoulder to body junction, but less than the standard .050" reamer would be. So if you are using the standard reamer, you won't be able to seat a 140 way out anyway. You do not HAVE to have the base of bullet at the body/shoulder junction to have a crazy accurate rifle. My daughter's 6.5SLR is a prime example of this.

You could easily go with a 130gr like the 130 OTM, to shorten COAL to better fit in the 7 action length. Even with a 23" barrel, I would think 3050+ should be attainable with the .260AI case. Running those numbers, your 600 yard limit is a non-issue.

I have fed several dummy rounds through my action, and an R700 action, both BDL and DBM w. Accurate mag, and they feed flawlessly.

For comparison:
6.5CM (.160FB), .260 Rem, 6.5SLR (.130FB), .260AI (bullet seated long in photo, about .220FB)
View attachment 312719
The very reason I have uni-throaters in all the calibers I have. I'll shoot standard load data length before I go on, but if you're set on 1 bullet in particular then have at it. Getting your custom barrel made to your specs with hopes of making that bullet work for you can be daunting? I make dummy rounds to check cycling and function before all else. Just getting into BAs, so it makes me kind of new when going beyond load data specs? If you can set the boat-tail at the shoulder and still get it into the mag, my choice would be 260rem not improved. I don't own any Rems, well except for shotguns. My perspective could be non informative? I do have 2 260rems in ARs with mag length of 2.830" so that helps. I favor them over the 6.5creeds.