Seeking Advice on Caliber Choice

None of the above . Alaskan Moose are big , you have to anchor them , its not archery .
They run into the water or alters and you loose them.
The 300 you mentioned wont do it .
There is a used 378 weatherby listed in this site , awesome gun for this purpose .
The game starts at 338 at best but the 378 is the gun for this trip.

I have lived in Alaska for 32 years, I've been a part of over two dozen moose hunts, and the above statement isn't accurate. I've seen moose killed with a 7mm-08, .243, .257, .270, .308, ,30-06, .300 win.....need I go on? None of those noise made it past 50 yards before expiring. Since your question was what can you get that you can also later use for whitetail, my suggestion would be a .300 win...quite a broad range of bullet weights and loads to do both tasks well. A .378...that's a hoot! Good luck

My suggestion would be 7mm RemMag or 7mm STW. You have bullet selections ranging from 120-200gr, and they are both very capable calibers.

I can never remember who it was, but there is one member here who took a moose at 900+ yards with a 7mm RemMag with 1 shot.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.