Seating Question

300winnie

I can't remember where, but I remember reading somewhere that once you find the optimum distance from the lands for a particular rifle with a given bullet, you can seat another type of bullet to that distance and that will be the optimum distance for that bullet as well. Is this true?

I am wondering because I have a .270 Winchester that will shoot cloverleafs all day long with 150 grain Speer boat tail spire points. I would like to load some 140 grain Nosler Accubonds to try in that gun and if this theory is true, it might save me some time.

Thanks.

I have not heard that and don't believe it is true. I have a .300 WM. In that rifle, one bullet shoots best at .015" off the lands and another shoots best at .080" off the lands.

I'd have to shoot a 25-shot test group with each bullet seated the same distance off the lands to find out. I wouldn't think so, but really good tests (at least 20 shots per group) would prove either way.

When seated against the lands (zero jump), most bullets in most cartridges do shoot the most accurate. That's because they're more perfectly centered in the bore when they leave the case. I'd bet against all bullets jumping the same distance being perfect for all.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.