Seating Depth Range for ELD-X

IdahoNP

Has anyone come up with a reliable ladder for the ELD-X yet? Hornady claims they are not depth-sensitive, but they said the same thing about the A-Max, and it was very sensitive to seating depth. I want to try the 212s in a new 300 Win Mag build I just finished.

I'm not sure who's ladder it is, but for the A-Max, the one that worked well for me was 0.003-0.021 off the lands, with steps of 0.003. Is that where people are seeing the ELD-X performing the best?

I've been looking around, but the numbers seem to be all over the place.

Thank you,
Jon

With the 6.5 143EDLX they shot the same at .020 and .050 off. Didn't try any other depths, hope this helps

Thanks. I guess I will try 0.010 - 0.100 by tenths then. These sound more forgiving than AMaxes. On my last AMax load (6.5-06), it varied from 1.6 to 0.3 MOA between 0.003 and 0.018 off the lands.

Thanks again everyone.

Hopefully I can find a happy space far enough off the lands to keep the mag working. I don't want to buy bottom metal, and the 212s are longer than the Berger 210s. They are actually just a hair shorter then the Berger 230 hybrids.

I had some difficulty seating the depth on the 162 eld-X in my 7rem that I haven't had with other bullets. In summary I should be .040 from touching and got the group below. I have not tried other depths but am happy with the results. The Eld-x is either not depth sensitive or I just got very lucky. Although every rifle is different!
Good luck
James

100meters

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 1,060
Longshot what powder and charge was you using? I'm also going to try the eld x in my 7 mag.

Instead of testing at .010 intervals, you can save some time and money using the Berger seating depth test by testing in .040 increments. The seating depth test details are in a sticky. Once you find a good node, then you can test in smaller increments to fine tune. If the ELD-X is like the Berger VLD's the node will be fairly wide.

Seating depth sensitivity is mainly due to the neck length of the cartridge. That's why 6.5 Creedmoor cartridges and several other newer cartridges with are fairly forgiving in this area.

Eric B.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.