ELD-X Seating Depth Preferance

Boozer

Hi all-

Working up a new load for the 30-06. I had been using the Berger 185 Classic Hunter, but I'm looking for something with a little higher BC, and lower cost. Enter the 178 gr. ELD-X. If my assumed velocities are correct, I'll be 4 MOA flatter to 1000, with MORE energy left, wind drift doesn't suffer, and at about $20 less per box, but I digress.

I read another thread here:
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f28/seating-depth-range-eld-x-173793/

That didn't seem very definitive.... it seems some are having luck in the .025 range, and others are finding a sweet spot waaaaay off the lands, like .125 or .160, etc, but I think that has more to do with mag box length restrictions than anything else. I have looked on other sites, and have not read a post yet that has indicated they need to be touching or .005 off. that's about the most common theme I can find thus far.

I had hoped to do the velocity node testing first, then seating depth, but during the velocity testing wanted to try to at least use a seating depth that ought to be in the ballpark.

Thanks,

BB

Boozer
I've loaded the ELD-X in multiple calibers (300 wsm, 7 stw, 6.5-284 norma) and has been no similiarities in their seating depths. Some like them deeper and some longer. I have found that performing the Berger seating depth protocol is the best way to find the sweet spot. Pick the powder you're going to use and start with the lowest charge. Load up six bullets at each of the following seating depths off the lands : 0.01", 0.05", 0.09" & 0.130". Shoot two groups of 3 of each of the different depths. You'll find a winner. Then, do your normal workup using that OAL.
I wish I would have learned to do this earlier because it would have saved me a bunch of time and money. I had a hell of a time finding an accurate load for the 175gr ELD-X in my 7 STW. Went through an entire box of 100 without a good load using my usual protocol. Tried the Berger seating depth protocol and found a great OAL and worked up to a great sub moa load
Good luck, hope this helps.

Doug

Thanks Doug.

I'll be using H4350, and CCI BR's. My sweet spot with the 185's was 57.2grains at 2850.... just in case that helps anyone else with their load development down the road. seating depth on the Classic hunters was (as promised) very insensitive.

Boozer
I've loaded the ELD-X in multiple calibers (300 wsm, 7 stw, 6.5-284 norma) and has been no similiarities in their seating depths. Some like them deeper and some longer. I have found that performing the Berger seating depth protocol is the best way to find the sweet spot. Pick the powder you're going to use and start with the lowest charge. Load up six bullets at each of the following seating depths off the lands : 0.01", 0.05", 0.09" & 0.130". Shoot two groups of 3 of each of the different depths. You'll find a winner. Then, do your normal workup using that OAL.
I wish I would have learned to do this earlier because it would have saved me a bunch of time and money. I had a hell of a time finding an accurate load for the 175gr ELD-X in my 7 STW. Went through an entire box of 100 without a good load using my usual protocol. Tried the Berger seating depth protocol and found a great OAL and worked up to a great sub moa load
Good luck, hope this helps.

Doug

I too conducted the Berger test and found accuracy quickly at .090" off the lands with the 212 in my RUM.

These ELDs are going to take some market share, I dont mind spending $$$ to hit stuff but 50% MORE for a Berger? IDK.

I'm right there with you Toddc. I don't mind paying more for a better product, but assuming I can get a good sub-moa load worked up with them I see no downside. Of all the pros I mentioned earlier I didn't even touch on terminal ballistics and what happens when it hits an animal. I've only been shooting the Berger load for a year now, so one dead deer and a very dead coyote (at over 600 yards mind you) can attest that they work, but there's been enough stories about bullets not expanding etc. that there has to be some truth behind it. Thing like that don't just come out of thin air. Their new 180 class 30 cal elite hunter is over $60/100. No thanks

As others have said, I would try the Berger seating depth method. I have loaded the 143 eldx and 147 eldm in my .260 AI, the 162's in a Ruger 7mm mag, and the 212 and 200 eldx in a 300 win mag. Both the 6.5's preferred .050" off, the 300 preferred .070 off with the 200 and I was limited on mag length with the 212, I don't recall where the best accuracy was because the length it liked wouldn't fit in the mag, I believe around .030" off or so, and the 162 preferred .090" off. There has been no similarities other than none of them liked being seated close to the lands, all did better with a jump.

I'm actually relieved to hear multiple reports of these bullets being somewhat sensitive to seating depth because I just spent a lot of time and money on my new .300WM build and my 450yd ladder test with the 200gr ELD-X over H1000 looked like I shot the target with 00 buckshot and it was basically impossible to fine any discernible nodes (something I've never had happen before). I guess up to this point I may have been lucky on my starting point for seating depth, but this may change my views on the order of which I do my load development.

Ran the Berger OAL test on some 200gr ELD-X through my 300WM over 76.5gr of H1000. Results below at 100yds:

2.840 (.075 from lands) - 1.405"
2.800 (.115 from lands) - 0.421"
2.760 (.155 from lands) - 1.064"
2.720 (.195 from lands) - 0.859"
2.680 (.235 from lands) - 1.075"

Hope this helps.

Just to follow up and let everyone know. I ran my seating depth test this past weekend with the following results. I tested at .010, .025, .040, .070, and .100 off the lands with 57.4 grains of H4350, bullets were HBN coated. 5 rounds were ran for velocity with magneto speed and the average speed was 2888, Sd of 14, ES of 32. Best group was .010 at .68", the rest were 1-3/8" to 1-5/8". Now onto charge weight testing...

Just some more info for anyone who wants it:

Savage 116
Criterion 26" LV contour 300WM match, 1:10 twist
Norma brass
CCI 250 primers
Hornady 200gr ELDX
77.2gr Hodgdon H1000
.115" off the lands

Final ladder test shown in the picture was at 755yd. Dropped one shot low and left, but 9 out of the 10 shots are shown. Egg is for size reference. (Picture is sideways)

Attachments

• IMG_1218.jpg
    IMG_1218.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 394
Last edited:
I have loaded the 143 eldx in a 26 nosler and just went 0.005 off and they shot great. the farther away I went the bigger the groups were. I loaded the 162 in my 7 rem ridgeline @ 0.015 off and that was the only seating depth i tried and its a half Moa or less out to 934 yards. The 162's I am getting 3120 fps and it shoots awesome.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.