Seating depth and Bearing Surface?

That boat tail will occupy about 3.2 grains of space. It will occupy that space regardless of where you seat the bullet. When you change the seating depth of the bullet you are reducing or increasing the available space by the amount occupied by the full bullet diameter. That is about 1 grain per 1/16" on a 7mm bullet.

How long is the bearing surface of that bullet?

Just to clarify, I was talking and asking about the Nosler 150 gr bullet.

The specs of the Berger 168 gr is on their bullet spec sheet. But it appears someone needs a new yardstick.

As best I can measure using my bullet comparator and eyeballing it to start of the boat tail it is right around .460" for the bearing surface.

No I plan on sending my blank and action to Piercision Rifles to have him chamber and install a muscle brake on it.

Seat it so that you have 284 in the case and if you need more capacity go up a case size. Don't overthink this.

It might not work any better than the standard SAAMI chamber but based on the measurements you have given, I could get a throat that I liked better than the SAMMI version by having a custom reamer made. I would do it differently than either way you are considering. For reamer specs, I would seat the base of the bullet bearing surface right at the neck/shoulder junction. That will give you about .330" of bearing surface in a minimum length case at the beginning and a little room to chase the lands as the throat wears away.

It might not work any better than the standard SAAMI chamber but based on the measurements you have given, I could get a throat that I liked better than the SAMMI version by having a custom reamer made. I would do it differently than either way you are considering. For reamer specs, I would seat the base of the bullet bearing surface right at the neck/shoulder junction. That will give you about .330" of bearing surface in a minimum length case at the beginning and a little room to chase the lands as the throat wears away.

Smart suggestion, Edd.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.