Bullet bearing surface

haisardao

This might be a silly question but I can't find a good answer so here it goes.
How do you measure a bullet bearing surface? Or here can you find this info? I read people adjusting powder charges based on more/less bearing surface and I haven't figured out that piece of info yet. Appreciate any input,
Thanks
H

You will need a couple attachments for your caliper that are a couple thou smaller than the diameter of your bullets. One is attached to the solid end of the caliper and the other is attached to the sliding part of the caliper. You place the bullet you want to measure into these two things.

The ogive end is way into one and the bottom of the bullet is barely in the other. What's left is your bearing measurement.

You will need a couple attachments for your caliper that are a couple thou smaller than the diameter of your bullets. One is attached to the solid end of the caliper and the other is attached to the sliding part of the caliper. You place the bullet you want to measure into these two things.

The ogive end is way into one and the bottom of the bullet is barely in the other. What's left is your bearing measurement.
Great! I have those, thanks!
H

How do you measure a bullet bearing surface? Or here can you find this info? I read people adjusting powder charges based on more/less bearing surface and I haven't figured out that piece of info yet. Appreciate any input,
Thanks
H
Some bullet manufacturers, like Berger, have them on their websites. For instance, below is Berger 6.5 140 Hybrid

1689912915391.png

(https://bergerbullets.com/product/6-5-mm-140-grain-hybrid-target/)

1689913020167.png

Thanks
H
First you need to have a magnifying glass or good eyes, ha. The way we used to figure "drag" surface (old school), bearing length, is;
1. determine the rifle bore diameter, not the land diameter ( Most 30 cal. are 300, I have Krieger match barrels that are 299.5, so this is a determining factor)
2. with a height gage put a straight wall cylinder gage on top of your bullet, and the bullet standing vertically square and the cylinder gauge vertically square measure the length of the bullet that is below the cylinder and record measurement.
3. with the bullet sitting on the straight wall cylinder, vertically square, measure this and record measurement. (no bottom measurement is needed for flat based bullets)
4. most will tell you that comparators should be used but unless you have a straight wall cylinder comparator that is cut to .300 or the exact bore diameter they will not work effectively, most comparators have a negative ogive cut into them and will not fit the exact ogive of every bullet and even most straight comparators will have a very small chamfer so they will not measure exact. a straight wall cylinder gauge is cut sharp to the exact bore dimension. Remember that comparators are for comparing bullets using the same comparator not measuring bullet bore diameter. (this is why when you measure your bullet with comparators they will be very different from factory specs. Remember to subtract the height of the cylinder from the height gauge when you subtract these measurements from the bullet length, what you have left is the BSL (bearing surface length),
5. formula: (bullet length - top measurement - bottom measurement) = X, then X times 3.1428 = BSL
Hope I made this clearer than emulsified humus- (mud)

Happy shooting!

First you need to have a magnifying glass or good eyes, ha. The way we used to figure "drag" surface (old school), bearing length, is;
1. determine the rifle bore diameter, not the land diameter ( Most 30 cal. are 300, I have Krieger match barrels that are 299.5, so this is a determining factor)
2. with a height gage put a straight wall cylinder gage on top of your bullet, and the bullet standing vertically square and the cylinder gauge vertically square measure the length of the bullet that is below the cylinder and record measurement.
3. with the bullet sitting on the straight wall cylinder, vertically square, measure this and record measurement. (no bottom measurement is needed for flat based bullets)
4. most will tell you that comparators should be used but unless you have a straight wall cylinder comparator that is cut to .300 or the exact bore diameter they will not work effectively, most comparators have a negative ogive cut into them and will not fit the exact ogive of every bullet and even most straight comparators will have a very small chamfer so they will not measure exact. a straight wall cylinder gauge is cut sharp to the exact bore dimension. Remember that comparators are for comparing bullets using the same comparator not measuring bullet bore diameter. (this is why when you measure your bullet with comparators they will be very different from factory specs. Remember to subtract the height of the cylinder from the height gauge when you subtract these measurements from the bullet length, what you have left is the BSL (bearing surface length),
5. formula: (bullet length - top measurement - bottom measurement) = X, then X times 3.1428 = BSL
Hope I made this clearer than emulsified humus- (mud)

Happy shooting!
Thanks,
H

I read people adjusting powder charges based on more/less bearing surface and I haven't figured out that piece of info yet.
You drop the charge down and work back up. There's no measuring or math involved unless you happen to want to write down the bearing surface length. The number doesn't really mean anything on it's own.

The point is bullets are all different designs, and even if they weigh the same a difference in bearing surface length affects engraving pressure and how the bullet moves down the barrel, so you can't assume a safe charge weight with one bullet works with another.

You drop the charge down and work back up. There's no measuring or math involved unless you happen to want to write down the bearing surface length. The number doesn't really mean anything on it's own.

The point is bullets are all different designs, and even if they weigh the same a difference in bearing surface length affects engraving pressure and how the bullet moves down the barrel, so you can't assume a safe charge weight with one bullet works with another.
Agreed, that's what I do, I'm just curious because I see people talking about bearing surface all the time and I didn't know where they were finding it.
H