Seating bullets multiple times Defensive Edge

tdean

I did not know how to title this thread. I watched an excellent video last night by Defensive Edge. There they set up their dies to have all bullets say .005 to .010 long vs. their target measurement for a first pass. Then after they did that they came back and shortened each round based on the rounds specific measurement. Basically making all loaded rounds the same measurement from base of shell to ogive. I just assumed once your dies were set they would all be the same measurement for that sitting? but I was wrong. I went back and measured and my rounds do vary 5-10 thou.. This technique is the only way to get them to measure the same that I know of. It is something that I never considered. My question is why does this base to ogive measurement change on a loaded round assuming nothing else is tampered with on your setup? Is it a variation in the shape of the bullet? and the way the seating plug contacts the bullet relative to where your comparator hits the bullet?

just curious

from my loading experience neck tension has the most affect on it along with seater type and bullet variation.

sorry the link did not paste

just go to DE website and click on DVD's

Reloading for Long Range Hunting

Last edited:
I thought it was a well guarded secret; but I guess the secret is out.
I was frustrated with CBTO variations. When I mentioned it to my son, he told me he has been double cycle seating for quite some time and suggested it might reduce my anxiety. lightbulbNow I understand how he scores better at matches than I do.

I happen to seat them the same way, it takes longer but the end product is much more uniform. I've been wondering if variance in the bullets bearing surfaces are the culprit.... :cool:

t

I've been wondering if variance in the bullets bearing surfaces are the culprit.... :cool:

I believe you've got it right. If you measure individual bullet lengths right out of the box you'll find differences. I've found as much as .005.
lightbulbAnother factor to keep in mind is that scenar and tangent bullets require different seating stems if you want to seat them properly. I believe a lot of shooters don't realize that.

lightbulbAnother factor to keep in mind is that scenar and tangent bullets require different seating stems if you want to seat them properly. I believe a lot of shooters don't realize that.

Absolutely & I agree with you on that point. Having the correct seating stem helps quite a bit.

t

+1 on double cycling. Started doing it after watching Shawn Carlock's reloading video. I find I get more consistent OAL.

Jason

After reading this thread i checked my loaded rounds in 6xc and 338 edge that are seating once and found very little variance in CBTO,1 to 2 thousands average and a couple with 3 thousands. I think it just variance in the bullet itself. I am sure there is something to this topic but i am not seeing it in my loaded rounds

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.