Testing multiple components at the same time.

Skimbleshanks

So I am gearing up to reload for my 30-06. This rifle will be my first foray into true accuracy and long range proficiency. I do not compete at all but really want to get into some long range competition or hunter bench rest. This is the third cartridge that i will be loading for. First my 22-250 developed fine accuracy with my first round of components. Rem cases, CCI200 primers, varget, and a 55 grain sierra gameking HPBT, 1/4 MOA. I thought this was too easy and started on my 350 Rem mag. I started with Rem cases, CCI250 mag primers, BLC(2), and a 200 grain Hornady interlock. Accuracy was nothing to write home about but 1 1/4" groups are more than sufficient for what this rifle is used for and much better than the factory fodder. Now I am trying to get my new Weatherby vanguard sub-moa stainless in 30-06 squared away. However I couldn't decide between the 175SMK and the 175 Berger hunting VLD. Figured I would try both and see which works better in this rifle. I have Lapua cases, Win primers as I couldn't find any CCI primers to replenish my stash, and I have 2 powders that I want to try. 4831 and 4350 were a dead tie between all my manuals so i picked up some H4350 and some H4831SC. Normally I would work up tests with Bergers and 4831 and 4350 and the Sierras with 4831 and 4350. Double everything and do each lot twice on different days, but with the Berger's finickiness to seating depth what should I do? Load starting loads with both powders and find out seating depth first with the bullets and then look to powder and charge weight? That option seems kind of backwards but I want to have the best load for this rifle and I don't want to over look the Berger's out of the gate if they don't shoot great because of something silly like seating depth. Do I just need to slow down and take It one step at a time? I'm asking now as I'm waiting on both the Berger's and SMK's, as well as waiting for the next pay check to purchase a Redding competition seating die a OAL gauge and a Bullet comparator. Sorry for being so long winded and thank you all for the help.

I believe that it's the perfect combination of seating depth and powder charge or velocity that gives little groups. Because changing the seating depth usually changes the velocity too.

If it were me, I'd find a moderate charge and adjust seating depth first. I'd then take the most accurate seating depth and try different charges. Last, if it's still not what you think it should be.........I'd take the most accurate charge and then vary the seating depth slightly to try to improve groups. I've had pretty good luck getting a few factory barreled guns to shoot around 1/2 moa by doing it this way. It's time consuming, but testing only one variable at a time will give you the best your gun is capable of IMO.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts