Scoping CA Traverse 300 PRC

Dooner

I just purchased the above rifle. As many of you may know, this rifle comes with a 0-MOA optic rail. I plan on scoping it with a Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x44 FireDot Duplex that I use on my other hunting rifles. This scope has "W/E Travel at 100 Yds: 75/75 MOA".

I zero my rifles at 200yds. For me, long range is anything over 400yds, and don't plan on taking a shot much beyond 600yds. With the Hornady 215 Gr ELD-X, zeroed at 200yds, the dial-up for 700 yds is ~12.5 MOA. In fact the dial-up for 1000yds is ~ 22.5 MOA.

Am I correct in understanding that I don't need to install a 20 MOA rail for shots out to 700yds, or even out to 1000yds??

Thanks in Advance

Last edited:
I guess it all depends. Most scopes are set in the center of the range of adjustment when they leave the manufacture. I say most because I just had an experience with a new scope that wasn't set in the center. Anyway, if it was set in the center, you had 37.5 dial-up and down when you started to zero your rifle. If you used any dial-up to zero your rifle at 200 yards, you would need to take that from the 37.5 dial-up you had to start with. So if you used 10 MOA, you should have 27.5 MOA of dial-up left which would allow you to dial-up to 1000 yards. As I mentioned, everything depends on where the turret was set when you started. If unknown, you could always dial-up counting the MOA until you hit the maximum elevation and then you will know exactly what you have available.

Once your rifle is zeroed see many moa you have left on your dial.
I just put a VX5 HD on my 300 ultra and it doesn't seem like it has the the vertical adjust that a Zeiss V4 does. If I had to choose between the two scopes I'd take the zeiss but I'd thought I'd try one built in North America and support "local ".
I shoot 168 ttsx at 3475 FPS and I have 28 moa left on turret so I think you'd get well past 700 yards with a high bc bullet