scope/tripod questions

Snowbird

I'm a bit lost and have information overload with regard to a new spotting scope/tripod setup. i've located some good info on here as well as other web searches and can't really decide on what i want/need.

first, the scope: i'm leaning toward a vortex viper HD 20-60x80. i want a long distance early am/pm spotter that i can comfortably locate big game at distances up to 5 miles or so. this will be done mostly looking up or level from either the truck window or a tripod. i'm lost on the angled vs. straight decision. i've only used straight before but have heard some compelling arguments for angled but i'm not too sure how comfortable that would be from the truck window. in addition to that, i use my spotter from a prone position and sometimes have my 6 year old son do the spotting. last week he shut a door on my 15-45x65 leupold, so i'm taking the opportunity to upgrade a little.

second, the tripod legs: I've researched quite a bit about the manfrotto 190x3, vanguard alta pro and a few others. at this time i do not use my spotter in the backcountry so, i'm just looking for a solid usable base that is easy to adjust. i don't know how tall until i decide on straight or angled, which might benefit from a multi angle stem like the vanguard alta pro263at has. This Slik 700dx pro caught my eye as well.

third, the head: Here i at least know that i like a two way pan head from using my window mount. i want something smooth which might mean a fluid pan head and need it to hold at least 5.5lbs for the scope. i like the reviews on the slik fluid pan head but open to other ideas. I noticed some of the manfrotto fluid heads in that price range have mixed reviews regarding smoothness but start to turn positive again around the $200 mark.

so, for heads and legs i'm unsure of what is compatible. i hear manfrotto requires adapters but haven't seen those available. i'd like to build a set of something for less than $250 that will be stable and smooth to operate. any ideas are welcome.

thanks in advance

The angled spotters have a big advantage when you are on the ground using a short tripod especially from a prone position. You can get an awful cramp in your neck trying to use a straight spotter from such a position.

Cabela's carries some decent window mounting units that work with a broad range of scopes.

When it comes to a big tripod to use for standing or sitting in a chair you really want to go with something that is a high quality unit that will provide absolute steadiness. At high magnification even the slightest wobble can really mess you up even causing motion sickness for a lot of people.

What I did was to pick up a leupold short tripod to use on the ground and from the bench and manfrotto graphite model to use for sitting/standing. I can't remember the model number for the tripod or fluid head but I could pull it out and get them if it would help you out.

You will definitely want to get the quick release mounts to make it easy to change from one to the next.

I have a small compact spotter for backpack hunts. I never knew just how good that spotter was until I put it on a really good tripod. The scope you are planning to use will be twice the size of mine, if not more.
The best tripod I have ever used is made by Outdoorsman's. I also use their pan head.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.