scope selection

boney

i am 18 and i am wanting to buy a rifle to shoot dingoes, pigs, etc. from a fair distance (say up to about 300, 400m) the old aussie pig is pretty tough and i was woundering if a 270 win with a leupold LPS 2.5-10x45 would be alright??

open to all suggestions

DANTEC

4.5x14 is perhaps better on small target no really need to have 2.5 except for bush shooting

LPS is good but costly , Long range from Leupold is better priced for the quality and you get hight turret wich really help you if you shoot from 100 to 400 because to make accurate shots you need to modify your elevation , new Nikon are very good too .

270 WIN is a good caliber but bullet choice is not the best , a 280 REM can do better and allow you to use both traget and hunting bullets or a 6.5x55

good shooting

DAN TEC

shotgun red

A .280 is only marginally faster than a .270 with normal factory loads (40 fps with 150 grain) but a .270 has a greater sectional density giving you a little more penetration. Also, .270 ammo is readily available at any store that sells ammo. If you can find Light Magnum ammo by Hornady or High Energy ammo from Federal (3000 fps 150 grain) you could send some lead really flying piggy's way.

Trending threads

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce