Scope Selection Help. Vortex. Burris. Leupold

mwarizona

I would appreciate some advice selecting a scope for my new Tikka Superlite .300 WM. Primarily using it for Elk hunting. I do enjoy shooting at the range but typically nothing over 600 yards. I have read the forums, watched video's and there doesn't seem to be any consistency. Looking to spending under $1200 for something of quality. Considering the Burris HD Signature, Vortex Viper PST Gen II 5-25x50. Pros cons from anyone's experience? I have been researching this for weeks and can't decide. Thank you for the help

Of the brands you mentioned I would choose leupold. I have never had a issue with a leupold product that there customer service didn't take care of to my complete satisfaction. And in my opinion I think there a better scope than the others. They certainly have been in business longer than the others. I have seen the older Leupold scopes take crazy amounts of abuse and still hold zero.

Shot Leupold scopes since early 1980s,changed to Burris last year.Coyote hunted with Burris all winter and killed some with it.BUT bought a Leupold VX5 HD a few weeks ago and put it on my number 1 coyote rifle and will probably get another 1 for my backup

I have all of the scopes you mentioned, and I installed, then removed the Vortex scope after shooting with it a while. My personal limit on shooting things is really NOT long range. To my eyes the PST is difficult to shoot consistenty, even at 100 yds. The scope now sits in its box on a shelf. I finally settled on the Vortex Razor LHT for my primary elk hunting rifle, and it's backup. Better pretty much in all categories except the illumination switch......

An elk is a big critter and the altralite is ? Well light so when I went looking for a scope the Vortex crossfire 4-12 tacticle got the nod
Its light and enough power to getterdone.....If your running the altelite rings it might be a good idea to add a third ring.
thumbnail_IMG_0807.jpg

For the Brands in question & at the price point, i'd wouldn't hesitate a second to roll with a Burris XTRIII in MOA. They are on sale (3.3-18x) for ~$1k.

There are caveats however, as the XTRII is FFP (some folks don't like that) & at this time, they do not offer illumination. They are also a little heavy @~29oz. Which is ~9oz heavier than the Signature HD which I really like if it wasn't for the poor reticle selection & 1" tube diameter.

t

I would appreciate some advice selecting a scope for my new Tikka Superlite .300 WM. Primarily using it for Elk hunting. I do enjoy shooting at the range but typically nothing over 600 yards. I have read the forums, watched video's and there doesn't seem to be any consistency. Looking to spending under $1200 for something of quality. Considering the Burris HD Signature, Vortex Viper PST Gen II 5-25x50. Pros cons from anyone's experience? I have been researching this for weeks and can't decide. Thank you for the help
In your range, I would be shopping the Tract Toric 4-20x, the Vortex PST Gen 2 3-15x and Vortex PST Gen 2 5-25x in that order. All good stuff.

Can't go wrong with the leupold or vortex.
Considering its going on a 300 superlight tikka, and I know tikkas do kick, look at the eye relief. Saved me and cost my neighbour a set of glasses.

Check out the vortex viper hs or hslr if you like the exposed turrets. For hunting I personally like capped.

If you can find a Steiner, I have an older gs3 on my 300wm mauser m12, and oh boy, it puts any leupold I've seen to shame. I picked it up for 1000 Canadian so you should be able to find one in your range

Burris XTRIII prices have plummeted. You can find them for $1000. I would look at that over the II.