Vortex PST vs Leupold Mark 4

DUNEZRUNNER

I got drawn for Elk this year and want to upgrade the scope on my rifle. I was going to buy the Vortex pst ffp until I ran across a deal for the Mark 4 for $1200.00. Between the 2, which one is the nicer scope. I keep hearing leupold has gone downhill and I am buying a name, but are the two scopes comparable?

Thanks for the help

Thomas

I have a mark 4 on my custom, I wanted a light scope and am very happy with the tmr reticle and scope is clear and positive clicks. Mine was $1700 and that was a few years back for a 6-20x50.If money was no object I would have a March 3-24x42. Mine sits on a light 338 NM

In my opinion for what you pay for a vortex and what you get for a warranty there isn't To many other company in that market of scope that competes..

Definitely a +1 for a vortex

Leupold did fall behind the pack, relying on their reputation to sell the product. They have come around finally with the introduction of new & improved models; the MK 4 M5-A, the MK 6 & finally the Mark 8 line (at a substantially increased price).

BOTW & Greybull Precision used Leupy exclusively for many years with BOTW moving from Leupy to Huskemaw & finally to NightForce. I believe Greybull still uses the 4.5-14 Leupy.

Leupold has one of the (if not the) greatest Customer Services departments in the industry.

I really don't think you can go wrong with either, some say the Leupy has better glass & less glare IDK. I've owned probably a dozen leupolds & a couple MK4's, I haven't broken one yet.... If only Leupy would offer a dern MOA reticle!

If you want to run MOA, buy the Vortex, if you use Mils, I'd probably run the MK 4 & TMR.

t

I wouldn't pick a leupold. I would get one of the new Zeiss HD5's fantastic glass, locking turrets, etched reticle and followed by that a PST.

Well after looking at all the options available and at the prices they are available at, I decided that I am going to buy the Vortex scope. I had a hard time deciding this with all the options that are out there. I was going to get the Leupold, until I realized that the FFP option as going to put me over $1500.00 and then I might as well go with a Nightforce at a little more and if I was going to go with a Nightforce, I might as well go a little more with a Razor and then I would be double my original budget. So I decided to stay at my budget and try out the Vortex. Now I just need to decide on where to buy it from. Looking around, they all seem to be priced the same, so shipping is going to be the difference. SWFA advertises a 110% low price guarantee so I will see how that works. If not, either Opticsplanet.com or CameralandNY.com offer free shipping. Is there any place else that I should look at ordering from?

Thanks for all of the help and opinions. Now for the next thread on what rings and bases I should get.

Thomas

Well after looking at all the options available and at the prices they are available at, I decided that I am going to buy the Vortex scope. I had a hard time deciding this with all the options that are out there. I was going to get the Leupold, until I realized that the FFP option as going to put me over $1500.00 and then I might as well go with a Nightforce at a little more and if I was going to go with a Nightforce, I might as well go a little more with a Razor and then I would be double my original budget. So I decided to stay at my budget and try out the Vortex. Now I just need to decide on where to buy it from. Looking around, they all seem to be priced the same, so shipping is going to be the difference. SWFA advertises a 110% low price guarantee so I will see how that works. If not, either Opticsplanet.com or CameralandNY.com offer free shipping. Is there any place else that I should look at ordering from?

Thanks for all of the help and opinions. Now for the next thread on what rings

and bases I should get.
Thomas

Received a Vortex HSLR that I bought from Cameraland about a month ago and got it like in 4 days. They were supposed to drop ship a set of Seekin rings and something got messed up between Cameraland and Vortex. A call to Cameraland then a call to Vortex and the rings were shipped same day.

The customer service for both Cameraland and Vortex was excellent. Will deal with both in the future.

[FONT=&quot]Check into Seekins rings and bases and also Near Mfg. The precision rings Vortex offers are Seekins.[/FONT]

I use TPS medium rings with my 6-24x50 PST mounted on a weaver 20 MOA mount & custom built Weatherby Mark V .300 win mag. Nothing but smiles when the gun goes off !gun) Sorry, my iPhone wanted the picture to be upside down.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.