Scope ring height

Loud by design

Hi all I've got a vortex viper 6.5-20x44 that I am looking to mount on my Remington 700 varmint in 223 with the heavy barrel. I have settled on Burris tactical rings but now need to decide on what height. I have been told that the bell on this new scope is 56 mm externally and I know the tube diameter is 30mm so if I divide the tube diameter by two along with the bell diameter, then subtract the tube from the bell(28mm-15mm=13mm)So I need at least 13mm of height from my rings and base combined. The Burris medium rings are supposedly 1/2" or 12.5 mm so I would assume that the bases would be at least 5 mm or so leaving me a ~4.5 mm gap between my scope and the barrel or receiver. Please let me know if I am correct in my thinking or if there is another way to figure this out. Thanks again.

Also if there are any other sets of rings I should look at let me know. And as usual I'd like to keep the scope as low as possible

I dont know how to do all the math, I just know i have the same rig and i tried .78 rings and they were to low and .87 rings fit perfect. I basically get all my ring heights by trial and error. Thats probably not the correct way but it works

What was the objective size in the scope you were using? And alsO did you run into the bell of the scope hitting or the bolt hitting the scope?

I have to wonder why a scope with a 44mm objective lens carrys a 56mm outer bell.?? Seems like a hell of a lot of difference to me..????

I had thought the same thing. That would mean the body of the scope is almost 1/4 of an inch thick. I'm thinking it was probably a miss print that I read but going by that should make sure that it will fit the first time.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.