Scope mounting question

freebird63

How close do most like to keep the bottom of the barrel of the objective end of your scope to the barrel of the rifle??
I see some that are just above the barrel and others that are at least an inch of space between scope and barrel.
Thanks a bunch

How close do most like to keep the bottom of the barrel of the objective end of your scope to the barrel of the rifle??
I see some that are just above the barrel and others that are at least an inch of space between scope and barrel.
Thanks a bunch

I like mine with enough clearance for a cap, normally around 1/4" or so but depends on the stock comb and check weld comfort zone per rifle set-up … but that's me.

My preference is 1/16 to 3/32 as long as my scope covers will work.

On ARs I have to increase that just enough to get a cheek weld fit to center the scope with my eye.

The higher the scope, the greater the canting error.

If it is to close or touching, recoil can/may damage the scope.

J E CUSTOM

There are other problems that Many don't realize that happen to a scope that need to be addressed.

Everyone knows that I like slow motion Videos and here is one that shows the importance of having enough clearance between the scope and the rifle. It also shows the importance of the mounting system for the scope.

I see lots of offset bases and poor ring spacing in many of today's mounting systems. With bigger and heaver scopes, this becomes even more important.

Here is a video of this problem and the effects.

Here is another of how much a scope flexes shooting a 50 BMG

Clearance should not be a problem if the scope is well mounted and supported.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.