Scope mounting problem

dcederberg

My friend called last night and said he mounted a 6.5-20 Leupold with Target knob on his STW and he cant get enough height out of it, he is hitting the target at 100 yards about 4 inches low and he is topped out. I think he has the rings or something on backwards. What are your thoughts? I also told him he will need a rail on for long range shooting.

Ceder

definitely a vertical alignment issue... I've had to shim a few rifles in the rear because the scope wouldn't make zero topped out. I did one for a co worker last November. Offset rings, a moa base going the correct direction, or a simple metal shim are the likely answers.

You don't need a rail, although it makes it easier. You can shim the rear mount about 10 thousanths of an inch to 15 thousanths of an inch to get on target. I went through this with Nikon, and found better information on the web than Nikon could offer. If you are using standard mounts, and a long range scope, you will probably need to shim the rear mount about 10-15 thousanths of an inch.

Rail mounts are easier because mounts with the 10-15 thousanths of an inch cant are readily available.

My rifle was hitting 6 inches low with the elevation adjusted as high as it would go. After shimming the rear mount 10 thousanths of an inch I could hit dead center at 100 yards with the elevation adjustments approximately in the ceter of the adjustment range. Now I am getting 3/8" - 3 shot groups at 100 yards.

TechHunter

Thank you that is some really good info, I will pass that along to my friend. That is exactly what he has going on, sounds like a shim will take care of the issue.

Thanks, Ceder

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.