Hornady STW Brass Problem

Joe Kondelis

Hey all. I'm new here and love the information for STWs. I'm a die hard STW guy. Have a model 700 26" barrel.

I'm new to reloading so I apologise for a dumb question. My friend has always loaded me 160gr accubond with IMR 7828 76 grains. Bullet shoots awesome for me. I have been wanting to try the 175 eldx or accubond lr. I recently got all my reloading stuff set up and started practicing building rounds with no powder or primer. I bought a box of Hornady brass to run the new 175 eldx with. Well, I am stumped. When I build the new round with new brass and 175 eldx to same c.o.a.l. as my 160gr accubonds I cannot get the 175gr round to go all the way in. Bolt won't close. I'm lost because the empty brass fits and the length is same as my 160 grain rounds. Even stranger for me is I can run 175 bullet on old brass at 3.60 and it will chamber. Any help?

Also, why is IMR 7828 powder specs for 175 eldx so low compared to Max IMR 7828 for 160 grain bullet In Hornady manual? Wouldn't bigger bullet need more powder?

Sorry for dumb questions. I'm learning

Hi Joe, and welcome.

In order to make a heavier bullet go the same speed as the lighter bullet you are correct you would need more powder however you have to manage the pressure which is the critical element. The lower suggested amount is to keep you in a safe range and you need to heed this carefully. The heavier bullet will require a different powder charge for sure.

On the COAL, are you measuring this with a micrometer? A better solution then COAL would be to measure both from the ogive as they are different bullet profiles.

Hi Joe, and welcome.

In order to make a heavier bullet go the same speed as the lighter bullet you are correct you would need more powder however you have to manage the pressure which is the critical element. The lower suggested amount is to keep you in a safe range and you need to heed this carefully. The heavier bullet will require a different powder charge for sure.

On the COAL, are you measuring this with a micrometer? A better solution then COAL would be to measure both from the ogive as they are different bullet profiles.
I never thought of the ogive being different. I have a headspace gauge and tools to measure that on order.

Hey all. I'm new here and love the information for STWs. I'm a die hard STW guy. Have a model 700 26" barrel.

I'm new to reloading so I apologise for a dumb question. My friend has always loaded me 160gr accubond with IMR 7828 76 grains. Bullet shoots awesome for me. I have been wanting to try the 175 eldx or accubond lr. I recently got all my reloading stuff set up and started practicing building rounds with no powder or primer. I bought a box of Hornady brass to run the new 175 eldx with. Well, I am stumped. When I build the new round with new brass and 175 eldx to same c.o.a.l. as my 160gr accubonds I cannot get the 175gr round to go all the way in. Bolt won't close. I'm lost because the empty brass fits and the length is same as my 160 grain rounds. Even stranger for me is I can run 175 bullet on old brass at 3.60 and it will chamber. Any help?

Also, why is IMR 7828 powder specs for 175 eldx so low compared to Max IMR 7828 for 160 grain bullet In Hornady manual? Wouldn't bigger bullet need more powder?

Sorry for dumb questions. I'm learning
Have you tried chambering the empty brass without a bullet?

Try measuring the wall thickness of the necks and compare it to your old brass neck thickness.

Load one dummy round in your old brass, one in your new brass and measure the neck diameter of each.

Is your STW a factory rifle or custom? Do you know the neck dimensions?

Sounds pretty much like you are jamming the bullet into the lands. If you have a magnifier, examine the ogive for marks. You can also coat the ogive area with a magic marker to see it better. If so, seat your bullet deeper in case until it doesn't leave any mark. Depending on your rifle's freebore, the 175 may be too long, without seating into your powder space. Google Alex Wheelers method for finding your touch length for different bullets.

I have been using the Hornady brass shooting the 165gr Sierra game changers. I also loaded up some Nosler brass with them at the same time to compare the 2? My COAL was the exact same on both brands without any issues, & they both shot almost exactly the same point of impact!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.