Scope mount help!!!!

jbo829

Hello all new to the Winchester model 70 have a 270wsm and bought a vortex venom scope for it today the scope is a 34 mm my question is should I buy the Talley 34mm rings that bolt straight to the reciver or should I do a base and rings for this rifle it will mainly be a hunting rifle for ranges out to 500 yards

For your applaction it really don't matter which you use. If you are going to use 2 piece bases and rings I would rather have the Talley's. I much prefer to use a rail and rings I personally think it makes a better mounting system. I use EGW rails and good rings such as Nightforce or Seekins. There are many others just as good.

You can bolt directly to the receiver. There really isn't a need to have a 20MOA Rail for elevation out to 500yds. Depending on your barrel and what you are loading you sure can reach out with that 270WSM so you can put a rail on it. I did on Jill's Model 70 in 270WSM just to be able to swap out scopes easier.

If you are trying to save every ounce then go direct mount for the rings, otherwise, go with the rail and rings. As others have mentioned, the utility and easy of swapping scopes is vastly better and you can get more elevation travel out of your scope should you choose to push your ranges further in the future. I had an EGW brand rail as well on my Winchester and it worked great.

Looks like I head to the rail route not really worried about weight I just like to have stuff simple

I simply went with the venom due to it being my first ffp scope then if I like it I'll upgrade

A big thing we haven't mentioned either is eye relief. With the rail and two independently moving rings, you can set your scope more forward or backwards depending on what is comfortable for you the shooter and what position(s) you shoot from. With the fixed rings on the receiver you are much more limited by the length of the scope tube and the fixed spacing between the permanently mounted rings.