Scope selection help

sean1

I'm going to be getting a 280 ackley built very soon whenever the barrel shows up.
Boyd's laminate stock ( heritage)
700 action
24" no5 contour fluted barrel

Thinking it will be used realistically inside of 750 yards and occasionally have a little fun out to 1000 yards when I have the chance.

I'm trying to pick a good optic for the gun. I have a vx3 4.5-14 -40 ao I thought about putting on it. It has the bdc reticle. Would like to do custom turrets on whatever scope I use. If I use the vx3 that I have, then I need a scope on my 25-06 sendero that it comes off of.

Not looking to break the bank but want something decent. My thought was a vortex viper 4x16-50 moa but I have never owned one so I'm unsure.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated

Check out the Nightforce SHV line. I recently bought a 3-10x40 for a hunting rifle and I'm impressed so far.

Other possibilities are the Burris XTR-II line

Regarding the 4-16x Vortex PST some people complain about the clarity.

Check out the Nightforce SHV line. I recently bought a 3-10x40 for a hunting rifle and I'm impressed so far.

Other possibilities are the Burris XTR-II line

Regarding the 4-16x Vortex PST some people complain about the clarity.

I will check those out. Also should say I'm not wanting a really heavy scope either. However I see this nightforce is a little lighter that the other models.

What is your "actual" max budget and reticle preference, SFP vs FFP?

Would like to stay within $750-800. SFP as it will be used close up and long distance. I'm wanting to get custom turrets. MOA reticle as I will spend too much time thinking about mils compared to inches

Would like to stay within $750-800. SFP as it will be used close up and long distance. I'm wanting to get custom turrets. MOA reticle as I will spend too much time thinking about mils compared to inches

I do exactly that with a Burris Veracity 4-20x50 FFP (paid $629.10 shipped for it) on my .270 AI.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/for...w-ballistic-e1-ffp-reticle-130833/index5.html

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f84/270-ais-1st-big-game-harvest-143492/#post1009714

Does your reticle get too small at low power? The ffp scope I looked through (can't remember which one) , the reticle was very small at its lowest magnification especially for a low light situation

Does your reticle get too small at low power? The ffp scope I looked through (can't remember which one) , the reticle was very small at its lowest magnification especially for a low light situation

IMHO, no unlike the Sightron FFP (some owners are happy with them too) ...

[ame]https://youtu.be/9Gl3d0pxkvI?t=6[/ame]

... and the reticle is designed for varmints.

Well. I made a decision right or maybe wrong. Did a lot of soul searching and figured I was over thinking this selection. I ordered a luepold vx3i 4.5-14 50mm, side focus, cds and 30mm tube. Scope comes with a free custom turret when I get things figured out. I've had good luck with luepold and this won't break the bank. Turret should be good for 700ish yards which will be fine out here in the mid Atlantic region. I'll have to search for places to take shots over 500 yards with our hills and houses.

Being I'm just getting into this I figured this would be a solid scope to start with and see where my shooting takes me. Thanks for everyone's help

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.