Scope mount advice

Michigander1

Hello. I'm fairly new to the forum. Spent a few months browsing
The threads trying to learn I recently bought an Hs precision
In 300 rum. I also bought a leupold vx6 3-18x44 with tmoa reticle.
I can't decide what to do for mounts. I would like some of your personal opinions.
I have always used talley lightweight mounts and really like them but
Not sure if they will work at longer range with no moa built in. I was looking at
Nightforce rail and lightweight rings. The price difference isn't the problem just want to keep things as simple as possible. Also any suggestions on ring height would be great.
I have a standard spotter stock. Thanks

Michigander1,

Do you have any way to put a scope on the rifle so you can where it needs to be. I like to close my eyes, bring up the rifle, get in shooting position and open my eyes. If I am not looking though the center of the scope I can see what needs to be changed. I discovered I like high and very high rings.

I have a VX-6 4-24X52 that has a 34mm tube. It is mounted in the highest Talley lightweights holding it to a Remington clone. After about 200 rounds it is still okay.

If I didn't use these I would certainly try Burris Signatures with the plastic inserts.

Yes I have another set of talley medium rings to try
I was more wondering if I should go rail
And rings vs the lightweight mount. There is a 1000yd
Range near my house I would like to play at and not
Sure if I would have enough adjustment without
elevated rail. Thanks

I use NF rings and bases on my guns. I've not had a issues with any of the NF products. I use NF scopes as well, so I can't comment of the ring height.

EGW 20moa rail would be the least expensive rail I would use and probably the lightest. Ferrell rails are nice. As for rings there are a lot of options and chances are you'll need low rings. If weight is an issue I like seekins aka vortex rings. If weight isn't an issue go w/ good steel rings, I have a set of leupold mark 4's that have treated me well.

If 1k is regularly on the menu I would use a 20moa rail. This will put the better part of your glass on the target vs nearing the edge.

The NF ultra lights you looking at a real nice,one of my favs,think they where 4 oz.Dont remeber for sure,like the Seeking and Mark 4 in Alum. alsoHave them all Talleys too

Running same scope as you (excellent choice) and I went with 20 MOA Seekins rail and TPS rings. Don't remember if I used Low or X-Low, but it made a great set-up.

Thanks for the suggestions. Ended up
Buying nightforce 20 moa rail and
Nightforce ultralight rings. Did some more
Searching and went with low rings.
Pretty excited to try out the new setup.

I know I'm late and the OP has already decided, but if someone else reads this another option for VX6 scopes...especially the 4x24 with its 34mm tube is the Huntmaster rings by DNZ Hunt Masters - DNZ

They are a single integrate ring and available up to 34mm....and very reasonably priced.

Here is a set on my 7STW Sendero to see available for and aft scope movement.

jjw
ND

Attachments

• 20150415_203721.jpg
    20150415_203721.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 101
Also a little late here. First, are you talking about MTC, or Grayling? I only ask because I live in MI and am always curious on range options. Second, the setup you went with will definitely give you more distance, but probably wasn't required to get you out to 1000 with that scope (75moa internal.) For example, running a Berger 215 at 3050fps, you would need less than 23moa come up). I put together a lightweight (6.5lbs bare rifle) 300 RUM for my first elk hunt this past fall. I had a 20MOA rail on it and a heavier scope. Prior to the hunt, I switched to lightweight Talleys and a VX3 4-14x40 cds windplex, I shed over a pound with this move, which was very much welcomed to this flatlander hiking around 9,000' in CO.

The range I'm talking about is in Indiana
Youngs long shot. I'm happy with the rings I bought
But I also just bought some 30mm talleys
For my 270 wsm. Running the leupold vx-3
4.5-14x40 long range cds wind plex reticle on
That rifle and really like it. Thanks for the input

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.