Scope mount advice - Will this puppy work?

Summit Hunt

I am looking to get started moving out past a set zero. I want to set up my 243 with a better scope with target or CDS turrets so I can dial out for long shots. This rifle was a gift from my father. Nothing fancy but the barrel is glass bedded and I have shot a number of .5 MOA groups at 100 yards and under 1 MOA at 200 yards. My question is will this scope mount work to reach out to much longer distances? See photos attached. Not sure what this type is called. It doesn't have slots cut in the rail like a picatinny. I am thinking a 1 inch tube diameter scope can just be dropped into this mount, if it is a good mount. Thanks in advance for your help.

Attachments

• IMG_4316.jpg
    IMG_4316.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_4319.jpg
    IMG_4319.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_4320.jpg
    IMG_4320.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 58
If you can find them, I would go with the Burris Signature rings on the base you have. You can use the offsets to get additional elevation, if needed. With a good scope, you may not need any. Without knowing your financial limit, I would recomend a Vortex Viper or Nikon Buckmaster. I have three BMs, two mil-dots and one duplex. They are easy to use, good optics, and the turrets work good. I found all of mine used for $225 or under.
The Vortex is very hard to beat. Great optics, great warranty, good selection. Priced from $279 for a 20x variable to $1000+ for a first focal plane.
One good thing about optics, you get what you pay for.
I assume you are shooting a 243 or 308 in that 788. Your base is good for what you can do for now. Later, when you are more experienced, you will know what you want in a different rifle. Oh, you WILL want a new rifle. :)

Thanks for the advice! It is a 243. I don't see going beyond 600 yards with that round. After getting some control out that far, I would like to shoot farther, so I already am thinking about a new rifle.

You will not need a tapered base for 600. That Vortex will serve you well if you want a duplex. You will be able to stretch it out farther after you become comfortable with it.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.