Scope Height Question

R.Morehouse

I am new to setting up a rifle for long range and have a question. My scope/mount set-up has 25moa elevation. To determin bore height in the past I just measured from the center of my bolt to the center of the eyepiece of the scope. Now with 25moa ele. considering the new angle of the scope should this height come off the center of the bore to the center of the objective. Thank's for your input......gun)

First, don't get all hung up on the EXACT height. It doesn't make much diff at extended ranges.

BUT......if you LIKE to get hug up on that kind of stuff....

Measure your action diameter and divide by 2 =( the radius) On a remington 700 that is 1.35 divided by 2 = .68.

Measure the height of your scope base ....lets say .25.

Measure the scope ring height from the base to the split in the rings....lets say .75".

Add them together .68 + .25 + .75 = scope height.

If the fact that you are using a 25 moa system bothers you (it shouldn't) you can do the above measurements twice....once on the front and once on the back, add them together, and divide by two.

Or, just guess to within a 1/4 inch and call it good.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.