Scope height over bore question

silvertip-co

I should know this as I have been shooting scoped rifles since 1963, and thought I did know it. But I was readin an old Jack O'Connor book for the 39th time and now I'm confused about scope height. I tried googling the answer to avoid embarrassment, but all I found was forum comments from knobbs who dont know the stock from the muzzle.

My question is does scope height over the bore effect the long range capability of a rifle/scope? ie... I was always trained to mount my scopes as low to the bore as possible and have done that since 1963. And I have mounted a ton of them for me and for others. But a comment in the O'Connor text threw me. He said something to the effect that ' I guess if a fellow wants to shoot longer ranges he should get a (more powerful) scope and mount it high above the bore'.

Technical comments appreciated.

I should know this as I have been shooting scoped rifles since 1963, and thought I did know it. But I was readin an old Jack O'Connor book for the 39th time and now I'm confused about scope height. I tried googling the answer to avoid embarrassment, but all I found was forum comments from knobbs who dont know the stock from the muzzle.

My question is does scope height over the bore effect the long range capability of a rifle/scope? ie... I was always trained to mount my scopes as low to the bore as possible and have done that since 1963. And I have mounted a ton of them for me and for others. But a comment in the O'Connor text threw me. He said something to the effect that ' I guess if a fellow wants to shoot longer ranges he should get a (more powerful) scope and mount it high above the bore'.

Technical comments appreciated.

O'conner is a true legend.....of his time! We have all gained from his forward thinking.....of his time! He really helped change peoples choice of equipment....for his time! He provided some useable information....for all time!

Scope height affects the long range capability only in regards to how much adjustment it has. There are some who believe (I'm one) the least amount of adjustement you make in your turrets the lower the chance of it being off. By increasing the sight plane above the bore increases the arc of your bullet so you POI moves further away with less adjustment. Just a simple version.

One thing to note is scope center to bore center. I find very easy to just use a machine type rule on center of ring,split and eyeball fire pin in bolt.Most of mine are 1.5-1.75''This is used in most ballistic clacs like JBM.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.