Wrong rings sent-height question?

Apothus

I have a Weatherby Vanguard S2 in 30-06, standard hunting profile barrel, pretty thin. I ordered a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 scope to replace the Redfield that came with the gun. I have a 20MOA base that I'm going to be using, and I ordered a set of Seekins precision rings.

The rings showed up in the mail today, but instead of the mediums that I wanted, the company sent me lows. I hate sending stuff back. With the thin barrel and the canted base, will the low rings make the objective have clearance above the barrel?

Note-yes I know it's a hunting rifle but I'm going to push it as far as I can when I'm not hunting woodland creatures. Ballistics say it should go subsonic at or around 1300, I wanna get there

Lows should work fine. I run mediums on 56mm objective lenses with no issues on a 20MOA base and Rem Sendero contour barrel. My rifles with medium rings and 50mm objectives sit about 1/4" to 3/8" above a #3 Bartlein barrel with a 20MOA base. I would have actually preferred low rings, but could never find any available. Difference between medium and low rings is only .05".

Medium rings, 20MOA base, 34mm tube, 50mm objective, #3 Bartlein

Medium rings, 20MOA base, 35mm tube, 50mm objective, #3 fluted Bartlein

Low rings, 20MOA base, 30mm tube, 50mm objective, #3 Shilen

Medium rings, 20MOA base, 35mm tube, 50mm objective, #4 Shilen

Medium rings, 20MOA base, 34mm tube, 56mm objective, Bartlein Sendero contour

Same rifle, different scope. Medium rings, 20MOA base, 34mm tube, 56mm objective, Sendero contour.

Medium rings, 20MOA base, 34mm tube 56mm objective, Rock Creek Heavy Varmint fluted barrel

Last edited:
Beautiful guns lancetkenyon!

I think the ring height is more a matter of preference. I prefer my scope to sit as low as possible to the rifle without the two touching.

On some of my hog hunting guns, I use taller rings so I can accommodate clip-on NV and thermal units.

I'd say give the rings a try. As long as the scope is not touching the barrel, you should be good-to-go. If you find that setup uncomfortable, try a different height.

The scope will clear the barrel just fine with low rings. I have a number of guns set up with Vortex scopes and Seekins low rings on 20 MOA rails. Depending on where you mount the scope to get the eye relief right, you may have some clearance issues between the scope and rail. This is not a big deal if you have a dremel tool. Some of my guns required a bit of dremel work on both ends of the rail. Just use a sanding drum to remove a bit of material and dab some black paint on the bare metal. Another possible issue with the low rings is that some scope levels won't fit (specifically the Vortex scope level). I use Holland levels with the low rings and they work great.

The lower the rings, the less chance for cant and for me, the better the cheek weld. Keep the glass off the barrel of course.

Just my 2 cents.
rch

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.