rings and ring height help

gjk5

looking for some input on quality rings for this setup. It will be on a CA Mesa 6.5CM, I ordered a 20MOA rail for it and for the time being I will put one of the Athlons I ordered for my two heavy AR's on it. This is an Ares 4.5-27X50 scope. I may get another of these if it works well, it hits my main buttons: relatively short and light, good magnification range, FFP and affordable.

Wondering what height rings to run with this rail on it and what brand.

I run leupold PRW medium rings and put on all my 20moa rails. Then i put a shoulder shell holder for some cusion on there and to keep my range cards in it.

Attachments

• 9C8EAD00-4EAB-478E-AC6B-BEF27E986868.jpeg
    9C8EAD00-4EAB-478E-AC6B-BEF27E986868.jpeg
    825.8 KB · Views: 144
You don't mention which rail you have, but you should be fine with .87.

.82 might even work, depending.

Personally I would buy both and return one.

The other thing you could do is stack coins on the rail until you reach the desired height, measure the coins and add .59 (for the scope tube). That will
yield your ideal ring height.

I run Seekins rings and 20MOA Picatinny rails on ever center for rifle I own.

For a 30mm tube, here are a couple photos to help.

Premier Heritage Light Tactical 3-15×50, 30mm tube, over a Proof Sendero Light contour w. Tenebraex caps in Seekins 30mm "low" (.82") rings

March F 3-24×52, 30mm tube, over Proof Sendero Light contour w. March caps, in Seekins 30mm "Medium high" (.92") rings

Tangent Theta TT315M 3-15×50, 30mm tube, over Bartlein #3b contour, w. Tenebraex caps, in Seekins 30mm "medium" (.87") rings

Get a good quality ring, Nightforce, Seekens, Hawkins. So many point of impact shift problems due to poor quality rings.

I run Seekins rings and 20MOA Picatinny rails on ever center for rifle I own.

For a 30mm tube, here are a couple photos to help.

Premier Heritage Light Tactical 3-15×50, 30mm tube, over a Proof Sendero Light contour w. Tenebraex caps in Seekins 30mm "low" (.82") rings

March F 3-24×52, 30mm tube, over Proof Sendero Light contour w. March caps, in Seekins 30mm "Medium high" (.92") rings

Tangent Theta TT315M 3-15×50, 30mm tube, over Bartlein #3b contour, w. Tenebraex caps, in Seekins 30mm "medium" (.87") rings

Thank you for the examples, and some great looking rigs

You don't mention which rail you have, but you should be fine with .87.

.82 might even work, depending.

Personally I would buy both and return one.

The other thing you could do is stack coins on the rail until you reach the desired height, measure the coins and add .59 (for the scope tube). That will
yield your ideal ring height.

this rail https://www.brownells.com/optics-mo...ction-tru-level-picatinny-rail-prod97593.aspx

and yes, that sounds like a good plan. Order low and medium and send back the loser.

Go to Optics Planet and get TPS rings. Aluminum. I have been using these on all my rigs and NEVER had ANY issues with them. Reasonably priced, too. But the quality is superb. I used to have to lap rings, but I never have with TPS rings. Never have to worry about slipping, marring. You want a set that gets your objective bell as close to the barrel without touching. Or, a height that makes you comfortable to easily look through, which may be higher. With apps available, that distance (between barrel and scope) isn't as big a deal anymore. You can pay more, but I seriously doubt you'll get any better than these.

I have always used Talleys, looking forward to trying these. Good thing there was a decent sale on Optics Planet, they aren't cheap.

Now I am sitting around the house waiting for crap to come in on 3 different projects. Killing me.

Hehehe. Been there! The waiting game. Also buying and then getting intel about a cheaper product. But, you did buy a good set of rigs. Now for your next build you will have the intel on TPS.:D

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.