Scope Height Help, Browning X-Bolt.

I need to know my scope height for a Leupold CDS dial. I have Talley low 30mm rings which are supposed to be (.400", please confirm) and a newer x-bolt in 6.5 PRC. I read somewhere the a-bolts were .500" but I have no idea about the X-bolt.

Does anyone know my total scope height? I don't have any measuring tools, unfortunately.

****EDIT Update****

I called Talley and Browning. Talley only knew for their rings (totally understandable) but Browning was able to tell me everything because the products I used are so common. X-Bolt 6.5 prc, Leupo VX-5hd + 30mm Talley low rings = 1.63" center to center.

Does that 1.63" sound right? I asked if it's worth having a smith double check and he said no since all of the tolerances are so close.
What is the objective diameter? That may dictate what height rings you need.

Edit: never mind, I should have read 2 posts further... 44mm.

Step 1 - Go to the store and buy a simple ruler,
Step 2 - Mount your rings and scope on your rifle - make sure the bell of the scope doesn't touch the rifle or the Pic rail & use the lowest rings possible,
Step 3 - Forget abut the height of your rings. Measure from the center of your rifle bore to the center of your mounted scope. That's it. That number is what the scope guys need to get you a custom dial. I have done this process countless times very successfully

A little context for the OP. In the scheme of ballistic calculations, of all of the inputs, the exact/precise scope height calculation is one that has the least impact. If you are within .125 - .25, you should be OK for short range. Just follow the mid bolt to mid scope measurement method.
Understand, CDC's are neat and convenient on a standard hunting rifle. Know the distance and dial the scope. you'll be close.
However, they are only as good as the ballistic and environmental information used to create them.
Assuming you are not reloading, if you change ammo, the CDC is changes. Heck even if you buy the same ammo, the velocity may be different from box to box, so the CDV changes. The zero at 100 must be right. Also, if the environmentals change, change in altitude, temperature, etc. , the CDC changes.
Not trying to beat up CDC's. Just trying to point out how an exact scope height has little to no impact compared to other inputs.

Don't like the cds dials, it locks you into one bullet and load. Do you have a set of standard dials as well as the cds ones?

Put a few different scope height measurements into your program. Then look at the difference it makes at your maximum intended shooting distance. That'll give you an idea of how precise that measurement needs to be.

I need to know my scope height for a Leupold CDS dial. I have Talley low 30mm rings which are supposed to be (.400", please confirm) and a newer x-bolt in 6.5 PRC. I read somewhere the a-bolts were .500" but I have no idea about the X-bolt.

Does anyone know my total scope height? I don't have any measuring tools, unfortunately.

****EDIT Update****

I called Talley and Browning. Talley only knew for their rings (totally understandable) but Browning was able to tell me everything because the products I used are so common. X-Bolt 6.5 prc, Leupo VX-5hd + 30mm Talley low rings = 1.63" center to center.

Does that 1.63" sound right? I asked if it's worth having a smith double check and he said no since all of the tolerances are so close.
I have just gone through the same process myself. I have an X-bolt 300 WSM left hand. I measured the diameter of the action at the front mount and divided by 2. I measured the diameter of my vx5 scope and divided by two. Then I added the height of the Talley low front lightweight ring which is 0.440". This all comes up to 1.635".

Measure from to of stock to center of scope, or to the split in the rings. The action and barrel usually sit about half into the stock.

OMFG how is this thread still going and how is there so much bad advise. Get a tape measure and measuer from center line of bolt to center line of scope.

FFS guess if you want, I'd call it 1.75" with out even looking it's going to matter less than the atmospherics and probably lot to lot variation of your ammo because if you don't have calipers I hope you aren't reloading.

??? This is an easy measurement. I don't understand your problem.

My Bushnell Elite 4.5 - 18 x 44 scope in Talley rings, (which I assume you have for the unique Browning 4 bolt mounts) brings that scope center to the barrel center of my 6.5 PRC Browning X-Bolt Pro to 1.5" exactly. I used a simple ruler and straight edge to get this measurement.
1.) lay straight edge top edge on centerline of the barrel back to the scope rings (tape it on if necessary)
2.) measure from the gap in the scope rings to the top of the straight edge. VOILE'! You now have that distance measured.

Last edited:

Recent Posts