Scope for new project

Thanks for all the info. I have not looked at the Meopta untill now. It seems to be a good scope but if I have a dog at 500 to 700 yards they will usally just sit down and bark. So I have time to make my adjustments. So going with the tactical version I should be more percise ? I know making 600 yard shots on dogs are not easy by no means I just want to have the best tools to complete the job. So you guys think the 5.5x22x56 is to much at close range 40 to 80 yards? Is the 3.5x15x50 as good at 700+. I know the best thing I can do is practice,practice,practice and then go practice. Thanks

Thanks for all the info. I have not looked at the Meopta untill now. It seems to be a good scope but if I have a dog at 500 to 700 yards they will usally just sit down and bark. So I have time to make my adjustments. So going with the tactical version I should be more percise ? I know making 600 yard shots on dogs are not easy by no means I just want to have the best tools to complete the job. So you guys think the 5.5x22x56 is to much at close range 40 to 80 yards? Is the 3.5x15x50 as good at 700+. I know the best thing I can do is practice,practice,practice and then go practice. Thanks

I personally don't feel it is too much. What are the prospects of ever doing any prairie dogging or varminting of any type at extended range? How about long range hunting on larger game? Just throwing these variables out there to help put the scope into perspective. 5.5x is not a lot for a short shot. I generally keep my scope set to 6x in PA woods. I've very rarely had an issue seeing a deer up close. Like you said, its better to have enough than not enough. A 3.5-15 would be a good option also. What scope is that? Just consider these questions.

Tank

liltank-

It is funny you mention the 4.5-14-40 Buckmaster Nikon. I am in a yote toury this weekend and since my project is not done I am going to use a buddy's 6.5x284 with that scope. I shot it yesterday and liked it. I was 6 for 8 on a 6 iron swing target at 550. I didnt have a bench I just through my bag on the ground and used it. I have to see how it is in the field this weekend, but I did like it yesterday. Thanks for the info

liltank-

This new project is not just for dogs, I will use this for deer and elk. Of cource I would love to have that 250yard shot on a monster elk but As we all no that sometimes that not the case. The 3.5x15x50 was a NF.

liltank-

This new project is not just for dogs, I will use this for deer and elk. Of cource I would love to have that 250yard shot on a monster elk but As we all no that sometimes that not the case. The 3.5x15x50 was a NF.

I had to go back to the beginning and see what caliber we were working with. 600 to 700 yards is going to be the fringe of your ability to knock an elk down. That is probably going to be pushing it for an elk. The 3.5-15x50 would be more than enough for animals such as elk, but should you be shooting anything smaller than a yote then the higher magnification will be very helpful. The 6.5-284 is a good candidate for 1200+ yard shots on small vermin of any type. That is where that 22x would be nice to have. The 15x might work as well depending on the thickness of the reticule. The thinner the better.

Tank

I have your rifle's little brother (6-284) as my yote rig. I went with a 3.5-15 NF on this particular setup because I thought it would be more than enough scope. It's a great piece and I don't think you can ever go wrong with a NF but to do all over again I would have gone with the 5.5-22 like my others.

You have a fine caliber with the ability for some long legs don't do like I did and handicap it. After having both I would find it very difficult to ever get the 3.5-15 again. IMO the 5.5-22 NF is nearly the perfect all around scope.

In the kinda stuff I shoot coyotes in I have a real hard time picking them up even on 4x if their running in through the sage brush and get under a couple hundred yards. I've been thinking about rigging up some way to mount a small Holo sight type on my main scope. If I'm at a open stand where I can see real well I set my scope on 6x. The Nightforce optic is so much better than what I'm using and I have no problem shooting at :rolleyes: coyotes in the 750 800yrd range on 12x, but my cross hairs are fine.

I hunt elk in Colorado, where sometimes they are in the black timber. Many here won't believe elk can be thought of as "pop-up" animals. I have shot elk from 60 yds to 225 yds in the trees. A 5 or 6 power scope would not be a problem here.

Other times I hunt elk in the wide open western prairie. I've seen elk more than 3 miles away. Any caliber and scope combination isn't enough. Most often I can get to within a 1/2 mile of them with the truck and walk from there. Elk are BIG targets. A 3x9 or 4x15 has always been plenty. I can see where shooting smaller critters would leave me wanting for a scope in the 20 something power though. :)

I have your rifle's little brother (6-284) as my yote rig. I went with a 3.5-15 NF on this particular setup because I thought it would be more than enough scope. It's a great piece and I don't think you can ever go wrong with a NF but to do all over again I would have gone with the 5.5-22 like my others.

You have a fine caliber with the ability for some long legs don't do like I did and handicap it. After having both I would find it very difficult to ever get the 3.5-15 again. IMO the 5.5-22 NF is nearly the perfect all around scope.

Thanks for the info. Do you have the 50 or 56?

My 5.5-22 NF are both 56 my 3.5-15 is a 50.

I'm getting ready to do a 6.5 something. Can't decide on 6.5-284, 6.5-06 or 6.5-06AI but when it's done it will have a NF 5.5-22x56 too.

It is a very flat shooting SOB! This 6mm is low on recoil with a lot of reach, out too and past 1000 yrds.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.