Scope for 270

snuzzo29

I'm looking to get a scope on my new 270. Have it narrowed down between 2 scopes for the most part. Was looking at the Viper HST 4-16x44 in MOA or if I should spend more and get a Trijicon Credo HX 2.5-15x42. I have been trying to decide if the Trijicon or something similar is worth the extra money.

That is a personal preference that really only you can decide. I don't have the HST but I have a PST as well as a Razor LH and now a diamondback hp and I used to own a viper. I believe the PST has the same glass as the HST which is good glass and would fit the bill. I have not looked through the trijicon but from what I understand, the glass is a little better. Questions to think about. How important is an illuminated reticle? How important is a 30mm tube? How important are exposed turrets? How important is weight?

My preference is light scopes on hunting rifles. I have a swarovski habicht 3-10x42 which is the predecessor to the z3 on my 270. I love that scope. Its going to remain on that rifle until I die or it breaks. I am looking at getting a z3 3-10x42 for another rifle and if I can come up with an excuse, I will get a z3 3-9x36.

I don't know how they've evolved the Viper but the one that I used to own failed to impress me with its low light performance.

I picked up a used Trijicon Accupoint a couple of years ago that I like a lot more.

If you're trying to keep the budget low, you might consider talking to Doug about what he has to offer. I think that I will eventually try one of these Meopta Optika5 3-15x44 or 4-20x50 scopes:

I'm looking to get a scope on my new 270. Have it narrowed down between 2 scopes for the most part. Was looking at the Viper HST 4-16x44 in MOA or if I should spend more and get a Trijicon Credo HX 2.5-15x42. I have been trying to decide if the Trijicon or something similar is worth the extra money.
Might look at a CrimsonTrace. Not sure just how good they are yet. I have a Ser-5 3x18x50mm in a 34mm tube. My rifle isn't done yet to mount it. I wonder just how good they are with there low prices. Midway have them if I remember correctly. I would look at 50mm glass rather than a 44mm front lens.

On my 270 Win. Weath. Ultra-Light Deer Rifle I have a Leupold VX3 in 2.5X to 8 X , on a 1 inch main tube . I wish it was a 30mm main tube. If 300 yard shots are a possibility, I will switch out to VX3 4.5X to 14 X. I have two of them, so some times I just use the one with the 1 inch main tube . One is always on the rifle and the other always comes along as a back up scope. I have found both of them just fine for deer hunting. The one with the 30mm tube has a brighter view!! I am a Leupold fan, but I must admit my friends Swavarskys ( spelling) 3x9 , is brighter .

I used to have a Viper HSLR (same glass I think) and it was a decent scope. Low light performance is when I would wish for more and why I ended up switching optics.
I don't have a Trijicon scope but my binos from them have been excellent.
For my budget, Leupold's VX3HD is my own preference. My .270 Winchester wears a VX3HD 4.5-14x40 with the wind plex reticle, side focus, 30mm tube and exposed elevation turret. The cost, weight and performance checked all my boxes.
Good luck in your pursuit.

I have the Trijicon AccuPoint 2.5-12.5x42 on my .270. I love it. But, it's much simpler than the Credo. FYI Euro Optic has the credo on sale, so it's only about $150 more than the Vortex.
1649431438890.png

It's tricky to get good/meaningful reviews because it doesn't matter how good a scope is optically, you are much better served by the scope that is better mechanically and mediocre to decent optically. Meaning, it holds zero, the adjustments do what they're supposed to, and the seals hold.

In my opinion, the sweet spot for finding a value scope is to find the one that is mechanically robust, and is optically 90%+ there. IMO, this used to be the Japanese made Weavers (Light Optic Works). That's history at this point. Sightron SIII is my current go to for a reasonably priced scope with great mechanicals and decent but not the best optics. Unfortunately, I don't see anything in their lineup that would fit into a hunting role. The SIII 6-24 is a great scope, but for your application, it sounds like you want a lower magnification.

Meopta may be of interest.

I like Vortex, but only buy their Japanese made stuff.

ETA: Of the two you mentioned, I'd go for the Credo.

Last edited:
Maybe I've just been lucky but I have had very good luck with the Burris E1 4.5-14 with their LR MOA reticle. I have several on my budget builds. These units are made in the Philippines.

I like Vortex scopes, but IMO the HST is not a good value. I have owned one. The HST dials very accurately, which is important for long range, BUT it has a wire reticle with no illumination. The reticle is hard to see on a dark target, even in daylight. It is very difficult to use in low contrast light situations.

I have the HST 4-16x44 on a Ruger #1 in 300Wby. I got it because the eye relief works very well with the #1. I have been very pleasantly surprised. It has been on that gun since 2017. I have killed 2 deer with it within 15 minutes of last legal light one at 240 yards and one at 417 and no issues with seeing the reticle. It is not the best glass in the world, but more than adequate for a hunting optic. Mine has been worth the money for sure.

Thanks for the replies. I narrowed it down between those 2 scopes because they fit the bill for what I am looking for. I want a scope with max magnification of 16x, 44-42mm objective, exposed elevation turret, MOA/MOA turret/reticle, relatively lightweight and under $900.