Scope for 17hmr

megastink

I have a new 17hmr that I am going to be shooting small game and varmints out to about 300 yards. I need advice on good budget glass. Here is what I am thinking:

-Nikon Buckmasters 4.5-14x40mm
-Bushnell 3200 5-15x40mm

I want something with a mil dot, AO or Para, and clarity! All for under $300.

Any thoughts?

Send it,

Megagun)

300 yards is a tad optomistic for the HMR, yes it will kill that far and farther BUT not consistantly.
Not sure where the dots are calibrated on those two scopes but the closer you can get the mill dots the better....

Check out the Hawke line of scopes. Their Panorama, Varmint, and Tactical are good scopes and fit the bill nicely. They all come with 1/2 Mil hash reticles which work better for the HMR than standard Mil. If you plan on dialing i would suggest the Tactical as it offers better turret design. They are priced right, have a great reputation for rugged durability, and are in your price range.

HTH,

this is a little more that you are wanting to spend but i have a leupold 6x target scope and had custom dials engraved its good out to 250 on the turret and I can click if I want to go further. it is very effectice. on a calm day i have taken prarie dogs out to 240 easy enough, but its a coupld hundred more that you want to spend for this set up. I say say a little more and buy good glass

Go buy a BURRIS, And you will never need to send it in for repairs.
you can spend around $200.00 and have a scope that will work long after you are gone.

I just came across a cheap interesting scope

Simmons Pro Target 3-12x40 150$

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.