Scope Dilemma

tmwtrfwler

I have a 280AI nosler that I just picked up and currently a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 sits on it. That has a fine duplex reticle so it doesn't allow me any benefit of MOA in the reticle. It's zero'd at 300 and as a pure hunting rifle I think it should be fine. To really reach out there though i'd like to have some moa reticle. I had this scope laying around so I used it rather then spend the $ right now. this gun is for east coast deer to western elk

I have a 300wm nosler that has a zeiss conquest DL (posted about in other threads but those issues are resolved now) with a 60 reticle (pretty much a standard duplex with not MOA's built in). Same issue with the reticle as the 280ai. this gun is for western elk (occasionally east coast deer or bear).

I just won a ruger American predator in 6.5 creedmoor at our local DU dinner. I have no optic for that.....this will be for fun and deer for me and the boys.

I have other vortex's currently and really like the Viper PST's. I have them on an LMT MWS (4-16x50 ffp), Larue Predetar (2-10x32 ffp), a CZ550 308 (4-16x50 sfp).

I am a fan of the ffp scopes because of the easy math with the moa's don't change as you go through the magnifications. at closer ranges it's not relevant of course. So one could argue that you only need to do the math or know your dope on the higher magnifications making sfp just as easy. for hunting rifles I don't think it's all that important for me because i'd rarely shoot over 500 yards on game.

All that said, the local gun shop is about to have a thanksgiving sale and they have 1 2-10x32 viper pst ffp left and it'll be on sale for $550. That's a pretty hard deal to pass up. Would I be nuts to put that small of an objective on the 280ai, 300wm or the 6.5? I don't think so b/c it is working fine on my larue already.

Would I be nuts to put that small of an objective on the 280ai, 300wm or the 6.5? I don't think so b/c it is working fine on my larue already.

I don't think it is a bad idea . You can shoot a long ways with 10x magnification. Some say it is all you need to get to 1000 yards. I have old eyes but shoot to 600~700 yards a lot at about 8x to 10x. I like the larger field of view to help spot my shots and get back on the target quickly in case it moves. Since your shots are mostly at 500 or less, you would probably enjoy the 10x.

Plus, the 10X PST is about 30% lighter than the 24X.

Never used one but it sure seems like a nice scope. This is the time of year for scope deals for sure.

Weird thing is the Lica 2-10x50 has a smaller field of view at 100 yards than the Vortex 2.5-10x44... The Lica is 36.25 ft. @ 109 yards and the Vortex is 47 at 100 yards. How does that happen? Could just be a misprint, but it's like a 11 ft. difference.

Below is a good review of the Lica scope. The scope sure does look good on the Ruger.
http://blog.1800gunsandammo.com/leica-er-5-review/

Weird thing is the Lica 2-10x50 has a smaller field of view at 100 yards than the Vortex 2.5-10x44... The Lica is 36.25 ft. @ 109 yards and the Vortex is 47 at 100 yards. How does that happen? Could just be a misprint, but it's like a 11 ft. difference.

it was a misprint. it is in the 54' - 10' roughly

The length of the scope also has a lot to do with the field of view. Same with binoculars, the 10 X 80 flack binoculars are a good example of short barrel and large objective lenses at work, seems like you can see half the mountain.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.