Unusual scope dilemma...

Cutty

I like the usual suspects for long range shooting...Loopie. Swaro... (I think the Nikon Monarch is a good value, but I just picked up a custom Ruger carbine, barrel is a shade under 18", in 6mm Rem and I have no idea what to mount on it. It had a Burris 2x7 on it, but it was just too heavy and wrecked the balance. I'll be using the little gun for hike in whitetail, maybe some coyotes, marmots...

So, should I just stick a Leupold M8 4x on it? Or, am I crazy to think about a 1x28 Red Dot sight, like one of those Bushnell Trophy 4 recticles? Or what about one of those holosights? Or could I mount a bushnell elite 3200 handgun scope with a firefly recticle on it? One of the new Burris compact magnum scopes? As you can tell, I'm pretty confused.

For short, light rifle I'd use a short, light scope. I put a Leupold 3x9 Compact on two of my lightweight rifles and am very pleased with them. One is a walking varmint rifle and the other is a short/light whitetail rifle. A small scope also looks right on a small rifle.

Just a thought. - VH

I agree with the size & weight of the Leupold compact. One thing I don't like are the friction adjustments. Then I find out that Leupold will change the adjustments to the click style like the old Vari-X III. Now adjustments stay where put! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.