Scope Base

Invicta39

I need some info on scope bases and set-up. What is the best type of scope base? I have seen Picatinny, Weaver, dove tail, but I do not know anything about scope mounting systems. This will be mounted on a Rem 700 and probably a Leupold scope. Any info on this, and scope set-up would be a great help.

Here are some photos of Badger rings and 20MOA base: Link
Badger Ordnance Website
They make good kit.
cool.gif

Invecta39

Best is a relative term.

Best for what use or best for the money?

I will make the statement, putting a $240 set of bases and rings on a $400 gun that cannot take advantage of them does not make sense. Particularily if you do not know anything about them as you say.

BO rings are great, but overkill for most (98%)people who would be better off with $75 set of double dovetail bases and burris signature rings. Defy any hunter to break them.

Tactical rings are for take on/off with return to zero and combat reliability. Both elements are non essential for hunters.

Spend the money on bullets, reloading and shooting.

BH

I have Leupold Dual Dovetail on all my Rem 700s. I like them for their sturdiness and good looks. I use 2 pieces of 1" stainless roundstock about 4" long to align the rings. I had the roundstock milled by a co-worker so I know they are precisely alignable.
I have used the front dovetail/rear windage type rings and mounts before but have doubts about them. I once had a windage screw break off just below the head while shooting some 180gr loads (hot) in a .300 Win Mag.
The Badger Ordnance rings are tough critters for sure and give most any rifle a superman interface between scope and rifle. I can't get over the price though. I have never used them so can't say either way about their performance.
I recently purchase the Burris Dual Dovetail mounts with D/D rings and the hard plastic inserts. Initially they didn't allow for clearance between the barrel and scopes objective lens. I purchased the different size insert kit and used .030 in the rear and .010 in the front. Seems this would be ideal for a long range setup. I have them on an older Savage 110FP (LA) in .223 Rem. They are plenty sturdy and easily installed. The Burris and Leupolds are in the same ballpark price wise. Hope this helps. Johnny K.

Ive used a number of rings/mounts.
I have a set of BO's coming, and should be here Monday or so. Cant wait to get them on!!...sakofan..

As BountyHunter states, one should have an idea what's desired/needed.

Here's a picture, not too clear, of the wear on my rifle from one (1) hunt. These are Badger Ordnance rings and bases and a Nikon Tactical 2.5 x 10 scope. Notice the "shine" on the edges on the windage turret, it's similar on the elevation turret. Also the finish has been worn off a portion of the bolt handle (appears as glare but it's also lack of finish) and the rest of the rifle is in as big a mess as the portion you see here. This was caused by "normal" Dave King wear and tear during a recent bear hunt.

GA-BO-Wear-1.JPG

This "normal" wear and tear is the reason I personally use Badger Ordnance rings and bases. I had fairly poor luck keeping other types of rings in place or keeping a scope/rifle zeroed. I'm not one to baby a rifle, I have them built as a rough use and durable tool, I do not expect them to fail before I do. Since I've switched to the seemingly more durable (and expensive) tactical stuff I've yet to need to rezero a rifle after a fall, slide, spill, dunking, whacking, banging, falling, drop, or any combination thereof. (Quick note while I'm thinking of it: it's better to suck the mud out of a barrel from the muzzle end than to blow it out toward the action, lots less cleaning. P. S. Don't smile at folks for a while after this procedure, they'll think you're from West Virginia
smile.gif
).

One thing I've heard of folks doing with the dual dovetail leupold stuff is to have it brazed or silver soldered once the final position is determined, no more unexpected movement after that.

Point is, get what you need and don't skimp, overkill may be a waste. Wasting a hunt or a one time shot on less than adequate gear is not a good feeling.

Bounty hunter, i disagree with you 100%. $260 ish for a set of rings and bases that will give 100% reliability for a lifetime is a bargain. You may only have a $400 rifle, but $400 rifes can still be accurate, and a $400 remington can be gradualy upgraded into a $1500+ tack driver, and your badger Ord rings and bases will still fit and work. believe me, i have gone down the road of that 'll do, ive treid many many types for bases and rings, ive fitted hundreds and hundreds of scopes to bases to rifles and none are better than badger ord. never mind the cost of the rifle, what about the cost of the hunt, can you afford to have a $50 set of scope mounting kit fail on a $1000 hunt? my philosophy on my hunting gear is: would i be prepared to trust my life to that equipment? if the answer is no, then i don't use it or buy it. by the same tocken, you are trusting a life of a magnificent game animal to the same cheap inferior pile of crap, buy once, but right, we are all to poor not to. Badger Ord equipment will take lots of abuse ( look at Daves post), my hunting kit is treated like tools and equipment and not mollycoddled too. not much of the cheaper kit will stand the slightes knock.
It amaizes me that hunters spend $30000 plus on a 4X4, hundreds on clothing, boots, scent, calls,travel,flights, food, tags, licenses, ammo, guide fees, the list is endless, they spend all that money only to have a hunt ruined by a $50 set of rings and base that failed.. ha.. when that happens, how much has that $50 set of mounting kit realy cost you?
and what is $260 these days?? its 2 nights out in town with a steak and some beer and maybe some movie tickets thrown in.. me,i'll stay in and watch TV this weekend, but i'll buy reliable scope mounting equipment next week.
Pete
Pete

Dave King

I use the Badger stuff, too. Tough stuff, indeed.

But...did you ever think of just carrying the rifle instead of dragging it along behind you with that piece of green parachute cord.? Might not have to clean the mud out of the barrel as often that way.

Or...have Chris carry it. He's younger and stronger than you.

Len

I've thought of that but I just can't bring myself to let someone else handle my gear for me. That Chris is a big one though, he could easily hump his gear and all my gear AND pull a 4-wheeler outta the mud.

Back on those rings and bases, Leupold, Redfield, Burris and others are fine gear and probabably do work for 98% of hunters but I'm afraid I'm a 2%'er, probably Pete too, and I believe Chris maybe also.

I probably have a few sets of Leupold bases and rings down in my stuff pile(s) and if I do I'll post here and send a set to Invicata39 if he's interested. I'll look later today sometime.

(I only needed to clean mud out of my barrel twice this trip! I'm gonna try the electricians tape over the muzzle some day but I just can't seem to bring myself to obscure the barrel on purpose. I generally visually check the barrel clean of obstructions once I'm close to the hunting zone(s) and I'm need to take that tape off to do so.)

Ive used leupold quick release, they work but aren't heavey duty enough. Double dovetail, useless, shoot loose, dovetailed front, 2 big screws rear, useless, shoot loose, not robust. and i don't care which manufacturer. weaver style, getting there but most of the stuff is cast and is just not reliable enough, pracisely machined enough, most have poor screw quality, many rings will mark your scope tube, shoot loose, not robust.Warne will not return to zero 100%, EAW so popular here in germany for thier swing of mounts, to many parts, to complicated, not robust, shoot loose with big scopes. Accuracy International, pile of aluminium crap that looks like it belongs on an air rifle, won't return to zero, the alloy is soft, the screws strip threads.
Leuplod Mk 4, IOR, Mounting solutions and other like them are all a variation on the Badger set up, they aren't much cheaper than Badger and bager are simply better quality, you can see that by just looking at them.
Yep Dave i guess i'm in the 2%. i can only use equipment effectively if i can have confidence in it. and BadgerOrd stuff is built like a tank, finished like a mercedes benz and realy doesn't cost all that much, they are certainly cheaper then EAW.
Pete

Well, I have a set of Badger Ord. bases and rings mounted. At present I have a 3-9X50 Leupold on it. I just purchased a Leupold boresighter that attatches to the end of the barrel via a magnet, how the heck do you sight your scope with this thing? I placed it where the instructions stated, but it seems quite possible to have the boresighter in the wrong position. Any input? any suggestions on boresighters? Also, many thanks for the posts. It is possible that the BO gear is overkill but I would rather have the good stuff from the get-go. I have not shot the gun yet, but I am sure I will need all the help I can get to make up for my inadequacies.

Invicta39

That bore sighter is quite a puzzle, an optical marvel. Just stick it on and it's pretty much in the correct place. I don't use a bore sighter, I bore sight via eye-ball on a distant fixed object and adjust the scope reticle to be just a little low of center (about 4 inches low at 100 yards).

Congrats on the Badger Ordnance option, it's pretty tuff stuff.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.