Elevated scope bases

midmo

This might be the wrong spot for this but I just bought a new set of rings and a 15 moa base for my set up. The rifle has only had the factory rings before now. My scope is a Redfield Revenge 4x12x42. I base I bought is a Leupold Mark 4 LR 15 MOA and the rings are Leupold PRW Med. Just mounted the base and set rings on and set the scope on the rings. My purpose for this rifle is to be able to take this rifle anywhere for any hunt. (The caliber is .30-06) I know people say one rifle for everything isn't ideal. I plan to hunt out west and now I hunt the midwest and I would like to use a 100yrd zero. Once I set the scope on the rings there is about a .5 inch between the bell and the barrel. I am afraid that that is too much space for my 50 moa elevation adjustment. I am not sure if I should get low rings or if the mediums will work for my situation. Anyone with experience with these bases have any idea?

Attachments

• IMG_4004.jpg
    IMG_4004.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 17
I would get the scope sitting as low as possible. With the scope that high I would think you would dang near not be able to keep your cheek on the stock for a good cheek weld.
Most rings have a measurement on the package and if you have a .5 gap from bell to barrel you should be able to figure out exactly what size rings to buy.

Maybe I jumped the gun. Would a .30-06 be able to really utilize an elevated base? I figured it would help compensate for drop and make things much easier.

Maybe I jumped the gun. Would a .30-06 be able to really utilize an elevated base? I figured it would help compensate for drop and make things much easier.

We have guys here that shoot .308 Win and .30-06 with Berger 215s/230s with 20 MOA or so canted base at ~1400 yards ... so the answer is yes.

As far as your scope clearance question, see >>> http://www.accurateshooter.com/optics/determining-scope-height-above-bore/

I have a few scopes similar to how yours is seated now and have no problem whatsoever. The key for me is how does it feel or look like when you look through the scope with proper cheek weld.

This might be the wrong spot for this but I just bought a new set of rings and a 15 moa base for my set up. The rifle has only had the factory rings before now. My scope is a Redfield Revenge 4x12x42. I base I bought is a Leupold Mark 4 LR 15 MOA and the rings are Leupold PRW Med. Just mounted the base and set rings on and set the scope on the rings. My purpose for this rifle is to be able to take this rifle anywhere for any hunt. (The caliber is .30-06) I know people say one rifle for everything isn't ideal. I plan to hunt out west and now I hunt the midwest and I would like to use a 100yrd zero. Once I set the scope on the rings there is about a .5 inch between the bell and the barrel. I am afraid that that is too much space for my 50 moa elevation adjustment. I am not sure if I should get low rings or if the mediums will work for my situation. Anyone with experience with these bases have any idea?
Yep you need low or if they make such a thing a medium low ring set.

The Rail it's sitting on is what we used to call a "riser rail" because it's not low to the top of the action and sets the scope up usually about a half in or more higher than it would be mounted with traditional Leupold or redfield mounts typically preferred by hunters.

You can always sell what you have on Ebay or on the classifieds here and hopefully get at least most of your money back and replace them with the more correct rings of the proper height.

Deal with a "gun shop" even if it's online rather than ordering from some guy in Taiwan with box of stuff of questionable lineage who probably has no clue how to set up a rifle and they'll be able to guide you to exactly what you need to achieve your goals.

Don't feel bad, most if not all of us have made the same mistakes or worse at least once.

I actually saw somone trying to sell a M700 that had something like a 40 MOA rail on it which was mounted completely backwards.

He was selling it "as is because it won't zero and I can't get the screw holes to line up right".... . Someone cleaned up pretty good on that buy. HA!

Thanks for the responses guys! I ended up returning the med rings and got low ones. The scope sits a lot better now. I still haven't made it out to the range yet to zero my rifle.

Attachments

• IMG_4014.jpg
    IMG_4014.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 17
My budget isn't much. I'm planning on getting a different stock down the road. I have 3 kids in daycare. I really wanted this mounting setup to work but I need around 3/4 of an inch to get a good cheek weld. I am new to these bases and I am exploring all options to correct my cheek weld.

My budget isn't much. I'm planning on getting a different stock down the road. I have 3 kids in daycare. I really wanted this mounting setup to work but I need around 3/4 of an inch to get a good cheek weld. I am new to these bases and I am exploring all options to correct my cheek weld.

Google cheek rest, you can get for ~$15 and up depending on your need/want, preference, etc ...

Here's a couple of inexpensive options:

The war-proven duct tape and sleeping pad cheekpiece

Kydex adjustable cheek piece, available all over the interwebs.

You can custom dial both to your specific needs and it gives you a better idea of what you want/need on your next project.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.