Scope base for a LR XP-100?

Dan B

OK...I've got three XP-100's. Two are light recoiling .224" cal's and the other is being built as a 7mm-270WSM for long range shooting (out to 1000 yards). The .224" cal guns wear Weaver bases and Burris Signature Zee rings w/ the offset inserts added to gain elevation for long range shooting.

Will the Weaver base and Burris rings on the XP-100 hold the recoil of the 7mm-270WSM? I have Weaver's on several big hammer Contenders but was unsure if the recoil from a center grip gun would act different than a rear grip gun.

Dan,
I had SSK's weaver style base (T'SOB) on my 7.82 patriot XP and it held up fine (8x32's screws. sad thing was SSK screwed it up and it was bowed. Greg Tannel fixed it and bedded it (epoxy?) and it held up fine. A far as the weaver goes, I don't know since I have never used them for anything with significant recoil. Near's pic bases are great and I have them on all of my XP's save one which is a Farrel.
I would contact Richard and order a 20 MOA base. You can always take those minutes out with the Burris Signature Zee Rings (or add to it for further shooting). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
If you plan to use a 1 inch tube you can add 40 minutes through the rings themself (60MOA w/the base).
I have a suspicion you will stretch that barrel beyond 1k at some time knowing you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I am using the Zee rings on my 7 Dakota XP.

Dan-- my APS 7-270 (probably from the same reamer as yours) has the Farrell base, but I had to get Chunk Youngblood down here to put more cross grooves in it since the scope mounts wouldn't allow me to mount the scope as far forward as i wanted. It's OK now though. I'm assuming your gonna mount the Burris 3-12X LER/Ball. Plex/maybe turret too?? I hope u got Kirby to put one of the 7 twist barrels on it to shoot Richard's BIG 200 grainer out of it?

Mine took a 320 yd. buck last season (really, no challenge for this rig/bullet/optic), and the 200 grainer performed perfectly.

Hey guys...I knew I'd pull you out of the woodwork somewhere!

Steve...yes on the reamer, yes on the Burris 3-12x32 BP (top turret to be added later) but nope on the 7 twist. I went with a 9 to shoot the more traditional 150-175gr offerings. I think Mr. Allen said that Richard makes a 169.5gr bullet that I plan on trying but the staple fodder will be something like the 160gr AB's, 154gr SST's, 162gr A-Max's and some high BC 175-180gr slugs.

I found a valley near me that I can shoot out to about 1 mile /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif into some big sandstone boulders and old ore bank w/ lots of smaller berms/banks from about 800yds and out. Just need to a get a better rangefinder and some sort of ACI since the Loopy RX-IV seems to be a flop.

Dan-- if you're out there in PA, u oughtta look up Darryl Cassell sometime. He's out there too, but i can't remember where right now (maybe Driftwood??). He's one of the more experienced long-range gurus out there these days, and 1 nice guy. He put together my Big Eyes for me, and he knows long-range like few others out there.

Dan,
dont even bother calling Near mfg, I called them last week looking for a 20 MOA xp-100 base and he told me "too bad so sad call me back in a COUPLE years". I then called Ken Farrell and talked to Dixie "yes we have that in stock,will ship it to you today." I just recieved it and the machine work fit and finish are first rate and as an added bonus it is about half the price of Near. call Farrell at 660-438-9456.
I had a rifle made off this same reamer and have been using 160 AB's and it shoots very well, I wanted to try some higher B.C. bullets so I got some 168gr Bergers to try. they wont even touch the lands so I bought some 180gr Bergers they will work but still have a much shorter bearing surface than a 160AB. you might want to see if someone will give you a few 169.5 Wildcats before you buy some, they might not work. this reamer has a very long throat.
UB

UB,
Thanks for the update. I didn't know Richard was that backed up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
If I had known that I wouldn't have recommend him as the first to call.
For an XP used as a pistol (not converted to a rifle) using a LER scope, the Farrel has the advantage of being longer in the front (if you order the extended base like steve and i have). When prone shooting with the Burris 3-12 LER on 12x I can barely get the scope far enough away from me to see a full FOV. There is no way Steve could (these are with center-grip XP's).
The negative of the Farrel was the slots didn't continue through the middle and took away the advantage of it being longer in the first place. Steve as mentioned above had a smith cut slots through the middle of the mount to give it the versatility. I believe if we had asked Ken to have slots all the way accross the mount he would have been glad to do it. The Farrel mount is also higher than the Near (at least on the ones we have). Ken and staff were always pleasant to deal with .

[ QUOTE ]
Dan-- if you're out there in PA, u oughtta look up Darryl Cassell sometime. He's out there too, but i can't remember where right now (maybe Driftwood??). He's one of the more experienced long-range gurus out there these days, and 1 nice guy. He put together my Big Eyes for me, and he knows long-range like few others out there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Speaking of, why did Darryl Cassell ever leave this site? Or am I missing something? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.