scope alignment

I do question bedding the rail as I think with my sanding, it's probably a good idea. Is this done pretty much the same as bedding an action?

Yes, release on the action and epoxy on the rail. I mill out pads for the epoxy to sit in the rail so it isn't paper thin. You can do the same thing with a Dremel if you don't have a mill.

No, it is not. The #28 or a 7/64" drill bit will just follow the existing hole. Find a competent gunsmith.

it can be done in a Bridgeport mill, but you'd better know what your doing before you even start. You use a two flute end mill that's ground to the correct diameter. I'd simply plug the old holes with solid steel threads and recut the holes to the correct location. Still you could also simply move to a new location about .188" forward, and drill and tap new mounting holes. The old holes with be covered with the bases, but I'd plug them anyway to help keep the junk out.
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.