Scope adjustment range

Topshot

The technical details of scopes are a bit of a mystery to me and some of the information sheets do not help much.

Scope adjustment range is an example. Some tactical scopes I have been looking at have a 50 MOA adjustment. Dose this mean + or - 50 MOA or dose it mean + or - 25 MOA?

As my .338WM has about 30 MOA drop at 1000yrds when zero at 300 yrds, this may put it outside the range of the scope for these distances?

Can anyone enlighten me.

When manufacturers post their adjustments, such as 50MOA, that is 50MOA from top to bottom. So it would be 25MOA up and down from center.

Hi Mike,
I am a great fan of Burris scopes, having put them through extreeme punishment while out hunting. Dropping them on rocks, swimming across rivers with them strapped to my back etc, and have had only minor problems with them and when I did Burris fixed the problem no questions asked which is more than I can say about the very poor service that I have had from Leupold.
The first scope I was looking at was the Burris fullfield II tactical in 4.5-14x42 but have since changed my mind and am looking at the Burris XTR Tactical in 3-12x50 which has a larger adjustment range of 90" at 100 yds.
What is your opinion of these scopes?

I like the Burris Fullfield II but I'm not a fan of their TAC line. When they first came out I was exited and was talking with Mike the Engineer over their but he has left sense then. When we got them we had problems for day one. I just had a customer bring one back to me last week because the turrets stopped working.

In short I'm not a fan of them.

I have not had any bad luck with Leupold at all. I know sometimes they have dropped the ball but more often they are on top of it.

Mike @ CSGW

Thanks Mike,
Sounds like the Burris TAC line is not up to scratch. I value your opinion and will look at another scope option.

Mike, I would be putting a limit of about $2000 on the scope and mounts.
Sounds like I will need a 30 moa adjustment on the mounts for elevation.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.